• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Shaft Replacement

XJ4Christ

NAXJA Forum User
My 1990 with 4.0 has a lot of play in the steering shaft. I then had the battery out while working on the rig. I had to push the rig out of the way and now i have a popping noise while lightly turning it. I am pretty sure its the shaft as it has play. The gear box is reinforced by my bumper and I do not believe it is the issue.

So I did some searches for the Steering Shaft to see whats involved in replacing it. I did not find anything off hand and hoped someone might know or have a link to one that explains how to do it :).

I appreciate any info/links that might help! :)

If you are talking about the intermediate shaft their really isn't a lot to it. The "pinch" bolts have to be completely removed, not just loosened. Pulling the gear box is necessary, but just unbolt it from the frame so it can move enough to let you get the intermediate shaft disconnected on both ends. That's all folks.

You can replace it or can fix it like some have done. If you have a friend turn the wheel and look where the intermediate shaft joins at the firewall the rubber bushing is probably loose causing the problem. What some of us have done is put a few little washers in there then put a hose clamp around it holding the washers in tightly and that takes away the slop in the steering.

Back