• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door seal

falcon556

NAXJA Forum User
I need to replace the drivers side door seal. It is located on the door opening, not the door and it is probably the longest bulb type seal in the XJ.
I need a good sourse to avoid paying the dealer, I think it is a bit pricey.
Thanks.

Quacked said:
Save even more money and got to a locla late model salvage yard. $ at most, and easy enough to take off.

Brad

I'd rather get a new one, local salvage can be a waste of time.

falcon556 said:
I'd rather get a new one, local salvage can be a waste of time.

Sometimes but not always. You would be suprised at the stuff you can find that they generally charge $2-3 bucks for and new it is near $100+. I picked up a set of Jeep allweather floor mats in my spice color, all 4 for $10 in virtually new condition.
Oh, when you put the new seals on clean them up then spray them with silicone spray or wipe in silicone jell, it will prevent them from sticking and freezing to the doors in the winter. Reminds me, neet to put that on my tomorrow morning list.

Oh I think I would rather spend $99 of the $100 or better Jeep wants for the new rubber on putting more rubber under my jeep.

Dont get me wrong there are certain parts I still buy there, but some of the stuff like $350 for a power window regulator helps me keep the recyclers in business.

RichP said:
Sometimes but not always. You would be suprised at the stuff you can find that they generally charge $2-3 bucks for and new it is near $100+. I picked up a set of Jeep allweather floor mats in my spice color, all 4 for $10 in virtually new condition.
Oh, when you put the new seals on clean them up then spray them with silicone spray or wipe in silicone jell, it will prevent them from sticking and freezing to the doors in the winter. Reminds me, neet to put that on my tomorrow morning list.

I happened to have some silicon spray, thanks for reminding me.
How hard is it to remove the seal? Can I do it without damaging it?

Sure first find one that is not cracked. Then just slowly stretch each hole over the "T" pin one at a time and you will be fine, it may or may not want to stick to the paint.

To clean it up I usually use WD40 as it will even remove any rust stains from the rubber.

Wipe it as dry as you can then and install.

If you tore any of the hole, or it does not want to fit tight use some black silicone to secure.

falcon556 said:
I happened to have some silicon spray, thanks for reminding me.
How hard is it to remove the seal? Can I do it without damaging it?

I don't remember off hand on the XJ, not had to take them off yet or replace them. I do remember doing both the half and full doors on the TJ's and on that they are in tracks that you just slide around.

Quacked said:
Oh I think I would rather spend $99 of the $100 or better Jeep wants for the new rubber on putting more rubber under my jeep.

Dont get me wrong there are certain parts I still buy there, but some of the stuff like $350 for a power window regulator helps me keep the recyclers in business.

Checking around I find that there are two types of seals 84-96 and 97-01. I have a 96 and any used seal I find will be 10-20 years old. I think it makes sense to go new on this one. Otherwise, I don't have any problem with used items.

Mutant_Xj said:
the newer seals will still fit the older xj. I can't remember where but i seen a write up on it. He said they sealed better also.

I searched and found nothing. I'll try to find out what they look like, it may be obvious.

Back