• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pop starting an automatic

john

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone had success pop starting a automatic Cherokee or is there any other way to start it if the starter goes out

Long time ago, in a world far, far away, there once were automatic transmissions with the pumps in the rear. If you pulled/pushed them fast enough they would pump enough pressure to "engage" and turn the engine over. Unfortunately, the pump in the AW4 is located in the front, so no can do.

Good luck.

EDIT: so why do you ask? Have an AW4 equipped XZ and it won't crank over?

Just wondering what you can do if you are out on a trail and your starter goes out

Hitch a ride home :thumbup:

That's about it.

Tow Truck drivers tip: Smack the @#$#% out of it with a hammer. Have someone try to crank it while you hit the starter with a hammer, rock, crowbar, your head, etc. Often times you can knock it back into working enough to start the truck. After starting it though, do NOT turn it off until you get where you want to be, It may never come back to life again. I once used this trick to get a ladys car running, and despite me telling her to drive it right to a mechanic and not turn it off, she had to turn the car off "just to see if it would start again." It didn't, and I ended up towing her and charging per mile, as opposed to just the flat rate if she had just left it running!

How about carrying a box with some basic spares like shafts, starter, alt, things like that which are crucial?

How about hot wiring the TCC solenoid first and this pop it into gear???
won't do anything, without fluid pressure that solenoid will be switching air instead of fluid and the TC lockup clutch won't engage.

If you're that concerned about it, carry a spare starter (25-50 bucks at a junkyard) spare alternator and the tools to install them.

Or do like me and just get a manual 5 spd...... You'll still need to be pointing downhill, but at least it will start....

Back