• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 xj transmision shift problems

birdmanxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97xj with aw4 trans. It shifts from 1st to 3rd and skips 2nd also does not seem to downshift when in drive. heres what i have done so far

new seleniods
trans flush and filter
adjusted the cable on t-body
new tps

what should i do next?

Welcome to NAXJA!

TEST your way to a solution. Here is a good article on the AW4: http://www.transonline.com/transdigest/magazines/1997-10/Shift Pointers/index.html

If you put the shifter in 1-2, and get the RPMs up around 4500, it should shift.

If you unplug the TCU, do you get 1st in 1-2; 3rd in 3; 4th in D; reverse, neutral, and park. If you get that result, your problem is electrical in nature.

Good luck.

Ok, then follow the article and test out the harness.

Good luck.

my tcu has a 13 pin conector, the artical shows a 16pin. Did Ifind somthing besides the tcu? Where is it on a 97? thanks

david

Your TCU on a 97 should be under the dash, driver's side (earlier XJs was the passenger's side), between the steering column and the air box by your right knee. Silver.

think I'm going to try a new tcu. what year model tcu do i need? will anyone from 97 up work? or all they all the same i have one from a 95 i could try are they the same

Back