• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What degree of shim for a 4" lift?

What degree of shim do I need for a 4” lift? Can I get by with a 4 degree, or do I really need to measure before I order?

Rig: 2000 XJ
Lift: 4" DPG OME HYBRID

You really do need to measure. Depending on how the springs are arched / worn / how much of the lift is shackle and how much is spring, whether you have an SYE, etc... you will need different amounts of shimming.

Throw the lift in, see if you get vibes, if you do, either do an SYE and shims, or just shims (and maybe need more shims and an SYE later.)

You really do need to measure. Depending on how the springs are arched / worn / how much of the lift is shackle and how much is spring, whether you have an SYE, etc... you will need different amounts of shimming.

Throw the lift in, see if you get vibes, if you do, either do an SYE and shims, or just shims (and maybe need more shims and an SYE later.)

I'm getting the Tom Woods Drive Shaft and SYE, but I need to install the lift first before I know the drive shaft measurements. Most people I have talked to have said they used a 4 degree shim for a 4 - 4.5" lift.

Im running a 3.5 RE lift and i used a 4 degree shim but i feel like i shouldve went 6 or 5 if they make them.

It’s possible that your 3.5” RE is a true 4”. I know a guy running a 6 degree shim, but he’s also running a true 6” lift.

i have a 2000 xj with a 4" lift and all i did was a TC drop... no shims needed also no vibes either

Wow, the TC drop made a big difference. I've heard that you're better off having your slope a little under than a little over.

Rough rule of thumb is 1 degree per inch of lift. But nothing beats getting the actual drive line measurements and installing the appropriate shim size, based on those measurements.....

Once the lift is installed you will need a tape measure and an angle finder. You will need to provide measurements on drive shaft length, rear pinion angle, U joint size, and drive shaft angle to Tom Woods. Once those measurements are known then they can tell you the size of angle shim you need.

For example my 4 inch OME/DPG lift with a Dana 44 rear and a Tom Woods 242 SYE I used an 8 degree shim. I ended up with the pinion angle 1.5 degrees less than the drive shaft slope. The key is to have the rear pinion angle and the drive shaft angle within 3 degrees. Usually the pinion angle is slightly less than the drive shaft slope.

I’m installing the DPG 4” OME Hybrid lift. Dirk told me that he’s installed a ton of these lifts and every one used a 4 degree shim. After speaking with him, he ordered me the 4 degree shim from Rubicon. Once the lift is installed, then I will measure the drive shaft. “Measure from the slinger on the rear out-put of the transfer case to the center of the universal joint at the rear differential. From this original dimension, we will be able to determine the required length of the drive shaft as an end result” - Tom Woods.

Back