• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is this called?

BigRed86

NAXJA Forum User
It was leaking engine coolant and I need to get a new one. It was going from my radiator to the heater. The guy at AutoZone had no idea what to call it. So like the title says, does anyone know what to call this or what the part number is for it? Any information would be appreciated.

IMG_1984.jpg

IMG_1985.jpg

-Chris

heater control valve.

You can either replace it with another one that will break after a couple years, or eliminate it by running the hoses directly to the heater core. AZ won't have a direct fit one, but they will have a "one size fits all" that should do the job.

Also you need a new autozone parts counter guy... most of the guys at my local AZ would identify that immediately.

EDIT: Team Cherokee has OEM exact replacement ones for sale.

Thanks! If I was to just go ahead and bypass it would I just connect the two top hoses together and the two bottom ones?

Yup.

Should work either way, but that will keep coolant flowing in the same direction the original setup did.

I used standard 1/2" copper plumbing and some elbows, just sweat soldered it all together when I broke my HCV in half while replacing the #5 and #6 spark plugs. Drove it that way for a couple months (it was June/July/August, no need for heat...) before I found an almost brand new HCV in the junkyard after cash for clunkers. Make sure you either reuse the stock constant-tension clamps or properly tighten whatever regular hose clamps you use.

heater control valve.

Picking of Nits: coolant control valve. :D :D

Agree, the coolant control valve was eliminated in later models, and you can eliminate it. That said, however, some say with it bypassed there is more heat in the cabin, some say their a/c doesn't work as well, others say there is no difference at all and that keeping constant coolant flow through the heater core reduces clogging of its very small passages.

Good luck.

My parts catalog actually calls it a "VALVE, water, 4 Port" but that's neither here nor there :moon:

Agreed on the rest. I need to pull an HVAC box apart for both the pre-97 and 97-up models before I'll really have any opinion on whether it can affect A/C performance. What I do know is that bypassing the heater core entirely for a few months did reduce the effectiveness of my heater ;)

Pick at nits all you want, but if you actually go to buy one of these at TeamCherokee ($27)or RockAuto ($17) you will look for a "heater control valve". And yeah, I overpaid by $10 at TeamCherokee several months ago.

Picking of Nits: coolant control valve. :D

keep yer nits to yourself!!

"88 factory shop manual refers to it as a "heater control valve" as well. While the function and proper name should be coolant control valve, I'll stick with the industry standard "heater control valve.":D:D

My parts catalog actually calls it a "VALVE, water, 4 Port" but that's neither here nor there :moon:

Pick at nits all you want, but if you actually go to buy one of these at TeamCherokee ($27)or RockAuto ($17) you will look for a "heater control valve". And yeah, I overpaid by $10 at TeamCherokee several months ago.

keep yer nits to yourself!!

"88 factory shop manual refers to it as a "heater control valve" as well. While the function and proper name should be coolant control valve, I'll stick with the industry standard "heater control valve.":D:D

Well, excuuuse me for wanting to raise the bar!

And its too late, you all have to go buy the cream and little combs to get rid of the Nits! :D:D:D

.02... The "heater control" name stuck because, children, once upon a time the heater temp lever moved the heater control valve which regulated the amount of hot coolant into the heater core. Eventually, manufacturers realized that water standing in the heater core all summer long contributes to rot and plugs. My '48 CJ-2a uses a heater control valve mounted on the head. Come to think of it so did my '52 Ford F1 and my '52 Hudson Hornet...

This is what I replaced mine with, as I didn't want to spend the $$$ for a new plastic valve that was just going to break in 6 months, but thought that having coolant flow all the time might affect the A/C performance. On in the winter, off in the summer. I have found though that I almost never close it and the A/C still works fine. Probably could do without it altogether.

ball-valve-manual-pic-edit.gif

Back