• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

reworked renix intake

fuzzydog

NAXJA Forum User
I've wanted to put a second battery in right where the airbox is, and I've also wanted to re-route the intake away from the front. I spent a couple of days working on it and took it for a test drive last night and seat of the pants tells me it is breathing really well. But that might just be because it can actually breathe now, as opposed to before when the stock air filter was soaked in engine oil :rolleyes:

I used a short section of 3" exhaust tubing to make a new throttle body adapter. I cut a notch in it and welded a small cover over it to make the air bypass. Then I welded that assembly to the metal flange from a spare intake hose.

The cover going onto my adapter, as well as the rubber hoses and the airbox come from a 1990 Chrysler 5th avenue with a 3.3l engine. The exhaust tubing running across the valve cover is 2.75". The 5th Ave had 1 long rubber hose which I cut in half and I used one piece on each end of the long 2.75" exhaust tubing. I was a bit worried about it getting enough air through there (the filter is quite a bit smaller than the XJ's)but as stated when I took it for a drive it was running great. I welded on some tubing bungs for the valve breather and charcoal canisters. In fact, I think it is actually running/idling better now - I suspect there was a leak somewhere in my vacuum lines prior to making this mod, which I have now fixed.
I can definitely hear the intake noise loud and clear now but it doesn't bother me - this isn't a daily driver. Also I put a bunch of holes in the airbox to help more air get in. I do plan to put some shielding around the new airbox to get cooler air and keep water/mud out. The long tube across the valve cover will also have some heat tape on it, eventually.

Yes, the welds look like crap. I wear a suit and tie during the week, ok? :gee:

Some pics:

DSCF3016.jpg

DSCF3014.jpg

DSCF3015.jpg

DSCF3009.jpg

DSCF3005.jpg

DSCF3021.jpg

and the new battery tray

DSCF3018.jpg

looks cool but if you're bringing it all the way over why not plug up those holes and run a intake to the cowl from the bottom/side of the new airbox. less fitment issues than a typical cowl snorkel and would also get the benefit of colder air.

Last edited:
That is a really good looking setup. Like it!

Back