• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

movin up to 37's

Justpunchit

NAXJA Member #1291
well i finally did it today.. i made the plunge and bought a set of 5 mickey T baja claw radials the size are a 37 13.50x15. what im woundering is i have a chrysler 8.25 with yukon alloy shafts and a detroit locker, and up front a d30 with an eaton e lock.... and 4.56 gears.. should i be looking at new axles now? i dont really hammer down that often so am i gonna be ok with the setup i have?

I'd start looking for new axles for both ends. The locals break front hp44's and rear 9"'s on 37's..

I don't know that I would go that far, if you arent on the big rocks.

F150's HP44/31 spline 9", and alloys. Should hold up if your not throttle happy and in JV.

Would cost you several thousand dollars less.. :)

I went to a rear 60 and front hp44 our of a late 70's f250 when I did 37's. I have a spool in the back and for now it is open in the front. I have not had any problems, and if I do discover the front axle is too weak, the only money I have in it are for the gears and $150 for the axle, rather than $1000 plus for a dana 60 front that I may not need.

I am running 4.5" RC coils up front with custom longarms, and RE 4.5" leafs in the back for now. The rear tires actually do not rub, but I am still working on getting the bumpstops for the front set to the proper height. The only downfall I see to my setup is that I only have about 3" of compression (at the shocks) in my front suspension, but I have tons of droop.

so theres no way even if i trussed my axles and ran moly shafts up front that i can keep what i got with 37's?

Justpunchit said:
so theres no way even if i trussed my axles and ran moly shafts up front that i can keep what i got with 37's?
Justpunchit said:
thats why im tryin to get rid of my junk. well good luck man

You still keeping your rig Eric?
Anyway, I've seen you drive around, I wouldn't trust that D30 on anything over those tires you are running now. If I was going 37's and had a second car like you do, I'd go full-widths (D44/Hi-9") and make it a trail rig... Just a thought...

Check out CRASH's article here:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=80708

-Bill

well i am keeping it.. but the people in my area have kinda put an end to wheeling soo.. Im gonna keep building it until something better comes along. as of now shes strickly a trailer queen anyway but i just didnt want to put all that money back in a set of axles again for gears and shafts and lockers all over.

85cherokeechief said:
I am running 4.5" RC coils up front with custom longarms, and RE 4.5" leafs in the back for now. The rear tires actually do not rub, but I am still working on getting the bumpstops for the front set to the proper height. The only downfall I see to my setup is that I only have about 3" of compression (at the shocks) in my front suspension, but I have tons of droop.

Holy shiznit Batman!..That's alot of tire! From the looks of things..you're being done a favor by only having 3" of compression, otherwise those boggers may tear the remaining sheetmetal off your front end. Have you considered more lift?

I am thinking about going up 2 more inches, but that will be with some 39.5" tsl's. I really like how low the jeep is, and since it is not a daily driver, I am not worried about having very limited up travel. I will be 4 linking the rear soon, with some 16" airshocks, and I will do whatever I need to do to level the front once I get the new rear suspension dialed in.

Justpunchit said:

The shafts are not strong enough, and even if they were, the ring and pinion will not hold up to 37's.. 35's is kinda the top of the safe spectrum on an 8.25/d30.

D30/8.25 on 37s = :explosion

I have a D44/F9 setup on those exact 37x13.5 radial claws. My outer shaft/u joints/inner/outter hubs... pretty much gave out on the highway on the way to ParagonAP.

Go 60s front and rear or don't put the 37s on at all.

A hp44 will NOT hold (out west) under those 37s. Mine is polished to the highest extent and I broke one Superior stub shaft and one hub this weekend alone.

Back