• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Machine head with manifolds attached?

rickoregon

NAXJA Forum User
I've used the suggestion by several of you of removing the head with manifolds attached. Plan to replace head gasket, but first want to have head machined (it's on an '89 4.0). Will the shop be able to machine the head without removing the manifolds, fuel rail, etc?

I replaced manifold gasket not too long ago, so wouldn't need to take them off if the head can be machined the way it is.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks, Rick

not likely. I can't believe tat they could get it mounted on the machine properly with the manifolds attached.

No, and they are going to want to dip that head in a acid cleaner so you wouldnt have a lot of that stuff left when they pull it back out!

I guess you can tell I haven't taken a cyl head in for machining before... :cool:

Anyway, thanks for the information. I'm assuming I don't have to do much cleaning on the head then. Will I need to remove the valves and valve springs, too? Would that acid cleaner ruin the valve guides? Thanks for answering these outrageous questions.. Rick

Thanks. If I remove everything and have the head machined and valve guides checked and seats replaced, do I need to worry about getting all the valve springs, rocker arms, push rods, lifters, etc, back in exactly the location where they came from? And is it important to put all intake valves back where they came from and all exhaust valves back where they came from? Just wondering if that's still critical...

As a rule try to return all moving part back to there original place. The older parts get the more important this becomes. Mismatching parts and it become a crap shot as to how long before a failure. They may last forever or they may fail in a few thousand miles?

Back