• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No shop will align my Irok steering?

XJ=Fun

NAXJA Forum User
I have been to just about every tire shop in salem and no one will do it, it is my daily driver and im starting to wonder if this kit is too not dd friendly for me, seeing as i only wheel once or twice a month, and not very hard. They say that the isssue is that the tie rod cant spin without being unbolted because its angled at both ends, i know i can use the tape measure to do it, but i would rather have the peice of mind, cuz im putting new tires on soon and dont want them to get ruined

Are you talking about the IRO OTK system? If so my brother inlaw had that kit. I'll ask him where he did the alignment.. I would think an Alignment specialty shop would have no problem..

I'm guessing you Tried Les schwab tho. They wont touch ANYTHING aftermarket.

Get yourself a tape measure and do it. I read this method somewhere.... jack up both front tires, get some spray paint, spin the tire and paint a stripe. Then take like a pick or screwdriver or something, and "scratch" a nice straight line in the spray paint. Then set the vehicle on the ground and set your toe. This gives you a nice easy to find line to use for adjusting.

I have the IRO OTK set-up as well...I did pretty much what John suggested by marking a spot on the tires and rotating them to the exact same height on either side and using a tape measure. Probably 3-4 times of changing the adjustment I finally got it right and she drives straighter then she ever did stock/with stock-ish steering. I put probably 200 miles a week on my Jeep right now too, FWIW.

Do it yourself, you'll be fine.

~Scott

Have you checked with Tire Experts on lancaster?

Yes i did, Bernie didnt let scott finish my alignment, my appointment was at 1 and bernie's friend needed an alignment, so he made me wait till 2:30, then didnt let scott even take one hour to align my jeep, scott told me that he was sorry about that, well that dont give me my 40 bucks back, then when i called back bernie told me that me steering was for off road use only and that he did what he could, no refund. but i need a shop to do my alignment because im pretty sure i have a camber issue and need the printout to get the correct adjustable ball joints

Good god, man. Find a different shop.

The last time that I had my XJ on a rack, I was still living down in the Chicago area. On a lark, I stopped into a small mom&pop shop close to the office. First thing the guy said was that they'd only be able to adjust toe-in, caster, and align the steering wheel, even before looking at the suspension (cross-over Heim rig.) I told him that I was really only interested in what it was currently set at, and not to make any adjustments without calling me first. Came in dead in the middle of factory specs.

Now that I'm out in the boondocks, the shop that did the alignment on my Dodge is a bunch of good old country style mechanics. Bet they'd have no problems with my XJ either.

Back