• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welding a 8.25

themauler

NAXJA Forum User
I want to lock my rear axle and know you can weld the spider gears. I have the Chrysler 8.25 axle in my xj and think it is not a terrible idea. I only run 31's and pretty conservative when it comes to wheeling. This is my dd and i can live with the tires chirping a little.

Oh the Jeep is a 92 and came with a factory limited slip so i need to find a new carrier. I was going to post a wanteed add for one or go to a pull apart and snag one that might be in good condition. Will any year 8.25 from a cherokee work? I have heard there are two differnt spline counts that the 8.25 has. Have no idea what mine is :confused:

Someone head me in the right direction?

Nick

you should use the carrier from 96 or older, because the newer ones had 29 spline axles as opposed to 27. it'd be easier to just swap to the newer axle for strength, because if you swap out carriers you need to re-setup your gears to make sure they're right. there is always a bit of variance among carriers, even if they're made for the same axle, at the same factory.

EDIT: also, if you go with the newer 29 spline 8.25, you'd be fine to run 33" tires on it if you don't beat on it too hard with it welded.

are you planning to regear in the future? why not get a 29 spline 8.25 and weld that instead of taking your 27 spline apart.

It's just going to break. Save your money and buy a locker...

You can get a new carrier for 50 bucks.

If you swap the carrier, you have to set the gears up. New bearings, new seals, etc.

Understand that the tires will chirp more than "a little". Welded spiders gears in a daily driver is a full-time commitment. It's almost like marrying a prostitute - there is a pretty good upside, but there is also a pretty big downside.

my 35's chirp less than my 33's did on my welded, 27 spline 8.25 w/ alloys, under my DD

Your diff is a 27 spline. You can get a 29 spline carrier and some axleshafts and swap them for as slight upgrade in strength. You will not have to mess with the pinion depth but you will have to reset the backlash. This should be fairly easy. Measure the backlash on the old carrier and try to get the new one the same. If you have never messed with a diff before I suggest you get with someone who has experience.

Chirping tires is one thing,replacing them every 6 months is another,buy a locker!

Welding the spider gears for a daily driver is not a wise idea.
Upgrading from the 27 spline C8.25 to the 29 spline C8.25 is a good choice.
Locate the replacement axles and carrier for the upgrade and then install a lunch box locker such as the PowerTrax NoSlip or LocRite. This drops in place of the spider gears and is usually good up to 33" tires.
Periodically good used ones appear for around $100 or so...

I welded my 27 spline 8.25 a few months ago. Does it chirp? Yep. Does it wear the tires quicker? Yep. Is it still perfectly driveable? Yep.

I run 35's on the street and 37's off road.

I find myself going through, up, and over stuff in 2wd that I couldn't in 4wd before I welded it. The difference off road is almost unbelievable.

Would I do it again? In a heartbeat. My d60 that I'm building for it, will also get welded.

but why when you could spend a few bucks to do it right and buy half as many expensive tires? I just don't get it. I could understand welding the front of a 60 with manual hubs if you just COULDNT afford a locker... I just don't get it.

Not trying to hijack the thread or anything but is there a way you can convert our front stock axles to manual locking hub and weld the gears? or would it be cheaper just to buy an automatic locker? I plan on keeping my stock axles for a while, and already have a lunchbox locker installed out back.

You can get a manual hub conversion for a D30. They run about 900 bucks, but you can get them. I know Warn and Milemarker makes them...

Or you can buy a selectable locker for around the same price and you don't have to get out in the mud to turn the hubs... I would LOVE to have both.

I had a locker in a Cherokee with a 5 spd and I really worried about the shock load placed on the axles when it locked/unlocked around turns.

I have also had Cherokees with spools and welded spiders on the street and you get similar shock load on the axles when the tires chirp from breaking loose around a turn.

So whether you use a locker or weld the diff the axles are going to see spikes that they wouldn't see with an open diff. I say weld it because it's free and don't be suprised if an axle or the diff breaks.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I am thinking about welding my 8.25...29 spline. I have an aussie in my d30 and think this will help to crawl a bit more and keep my wheel speed down to protect my front axle a bit. Plus the cost of any locker is a lot more than just buying a JY axle. I am still on stock gearing so if it breaks a JY swap would be easy. I have a couple questions though.

Should I avoid this like the plague? (It only gets driven to the trail. Its not a DD. I drive it to work on occasion just because I want to)

Should I weld the spiders to the carrier also? If I don't if the spiders ever break, can I get them out and save the diff or is it most likely going to be hosed?

Can I still replace axle shafts if I do this? (I have never had it apart to see how this would work. I know it is a c clip axle)

If you're on a budget and don't mind the tires chirping around corners and the fast tire wear, then go for it. I welded the 8.25 in my first XJ and it worked out alright for me. I think i did weld the spiders to the carrier but I can't remember for sure, either way if you want to get rid of the spool you'd have to swap in a new axle, since the whole unit wouldnt just slide out of the carrier. Just make sure you don't weld near the area where the c clips slide onto the shafts.

Will it weaken the axle too much? I am on 33's?

I ran 34" swampers at the time and never broke anything. That was my personal expirience but i'm sure you'll find other who have broken shafts or more. It depends on how you drive and how lucky you are.

keep your 27 spline with LSD for the road. find an open 29 spline 8.25 geared the same for the trails and weld that. it may be a little bit of a PITA to swap an axle every time you go wheeling but youll probably only do it for serious wheeling trips. in reality its 4 ubolts, a drive shaft, and bleeding the breaks. an hours worth of work and 6 beers.

the fact that it is a PITA will result in 2 things. either youll find that you want to run the welded 8.25 on the street because you just dont care, or the hassle of doing it every time will persuade you to buy a locker.

i wouldnt get a new carrier/shafts/etc.... replacing the carrier means resetting the gears.

EDIT:
sorry, didnt realize the original post was older.

Back