• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 swap

96NYXJ

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 96 cherokee with abs. Just picked up a 2.5L 99 8.25 from the junkyard.

What size drum are they 9 or 10? Also are they the same as the D35?

Can i use the e brake cable from the d35 or will i have to get one for the newer 8.25?

i searched but it comes up with an error when i type in 8.25 but is there any writeups on it? Thanks

You will need the e-brake cables from the 8.25.

The drums should be 9". And if they are the same size axle to axle then yes youw ill be able to swap it all over.

I put in a '98 8.25 into my '90. I used the the 8.25 backing plates but was able to use the shoes, springs, hardware etc from the D-35 and it swapped right in. I did get new wheel cylinders BUT if memory serves the PN's are the same for the D-35/8.25 so they should swap as well.

Thanks alot.
Does anyone know were i can get a 8.25 e brake cable or why the d35 one wont fit? there are none at the junkyards around here.

Also does anyone by chance have measurements on were to weld front lower control arm mounts. Thanks

The simplest response is that it (d35) is not long enough. I would go to a junkyard and find the 8.25 laying around. When I swapped into my 8.25 it came with the brake lines so I just used them.

The easiest way is to use the e-brake cables from you 35, they will swap right in. You could swap to a 97+ ebrake bracket on the driver side frame rail and the short cable that connects to the pull handle.

Back