• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Squeaking HVAC flapper on acceleration

crabhab

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1999 XJ sport auto, 4dr. wiith 147k miles. It has developed a squeak in the dash only upon acceleration. I cannot duplicate it sitting in the driveway I have to be moving. It sounds like the HVAC flapper door. HVAC system works fine. Having it turned off does not change squeak. I have the OEM service manual I just want to check if anyone on the board has solved this.

Thanks

I've had (and still have ) numerous HVAC/ flapper door/temp dial, etc. probs on my 97. It's a terrible and spendy PITA system. Always had the stealership do it, and it invariably screws up again. Pressed em on the so-called warranty.
Sugg. a test on flapper door: Note interior vs. exterior pressure change, such as when windows are opened, or during a change between def. or floor/defrost?
Not sure if engine vaccum has anythign to do w/the system. Possible. Might explain flapp door sound on accel(?) I agree. weird.
I refuse to dig into dash probs on these things w/o a long weekend and a true fact service manual!
Nothing about XJ HVAC's surprises me! Got to the point where I can tell when the temp dial is going, and I'm about to have to do the flapper door for mine soon. Won't "mix" def/floor, and it goes to defrost only after a pressure change.
Advice if you're going to have it done at a dealers, do ALL of the HVAC prob parts : flapper door, temp mix door, etc. Very cheap parts (quality and price) but huge labor costs! Don't let the dealer insist otherwise. They KNOW they're junk, but want the labor $ later down the line.
yes, I've battled with them, and am a bit peaved and sick of paying to get the "luxury" of heat and cool and fog-free vision!
SHOULD be a recall IMHO, since vision is a safety issue, but you know Chryco would fight it tooth and nail, to save costs.
HVAC issues are a prob on virtually EVERY XJ!
Sorry about venting! No pun intended.
Good luck!

Wow sorry to here about your problems we had a brand new 2000 XJ that we leased back in 2000 for three years it had no issues at all with the HVAC but then again it only had like 38,000 when we turned it in. I know that the ZJ's and TJ's do not seem to have as many issues with HVAC.
I will start diggin in the OEM service manual I have.

I forgot to post back in November that mine squeaks too. Looks like a back breaking task to get to the HVAC temp door and flapper door. Could it be the valve and not the actual doors? I have replaced the fuel pump on my 1999 beater and have installed a Budget boost. Also fixed the instrument panel intermittent issue. Now time to replace the HVAC crap!

Back