• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

C4x4 tire carrier- Cracks in the crossmember

srmitchell

NAXJA Forum User
My xj has the Custom 4x4 rear bumper, with tire carrier. It wobbles A LOT. And I've hit it enough to make it smack the hatch.

I noticed a new noise, and looked below... I found a small crack near one of the bumper bolts right next to the shackle. :(

It uses the factory 8 bolts, and the first 2 on the hitch on each side. (Total of 4). I am also using a factory hitch.

I called Aj at Aj's offroad, and he is sending me tie in plates that stretch further back. These use 3 bolts on the hitch area.

Is there anything else I can do? I need to stop this chit before it gets worse.

I was thinking about welding tabs to the bottom of the bumper that bolt to the hitch, to make it even more solid.

How do most after market bumpers mount? Thanks.

-Columbus

A tire carrier bumper should use all of the factory mounts plus all the receiver mounting points.
0217065-R1-028-12A.jpg

Yo, Columbus! The other thing you can do it grab some 1/8" plate and reinforce the area behind the bumper bolts.

Plate the rear crossmember on more than one plane (aka the face of it and the top/bottom)

Tie into all the factory hitch bolt holes.

I would think that should be ok? What size tire are you throwing up on there?

That's what i was thinking, plating the crossmember all over.

My other thought- Weld plate to the c4x4 side plates, thus connecting the bumper to the 2 quarter panel guards. This would add a lot of structure.

It's only a 32 on a moab rim, but i do often put my hilift on there.

This is the setup.
DSC07113.jpg

Back