• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door hinge replacement

KilRoy

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking to do a door hinge replacement and they are welded to the body. So do you take the pin out and replace it?

Stu

I am looking to do a door hinge replacement and they are welded to the body. So do you take the pin out and replace it?

Stu
Helps a lot to know the year, and what is currently wrong with the hinges.

Different years are put together a bit differently. If it's an older one, it may use standard roll pins, and these are dead easy to replace. Go to a farm implement store and get them. You will probably have to get them a little longer because they're a half-size, but that's no problem. Pound old ones out, pound new ones in. Once you start the old one down, you can use the new one to finish punching it through. As I recall, they're 1/4 inch pins, but don't trust my memory. I gave away my 87 something like 9 years ago, so it's been a long time since I saw those roll pins.

Later models use a different pin, and you can, according the the manuals, get a bushing and pin rebuild kit when they wear out. There may also be options at parts stores, and of course there's always the option, if you're equipped, to ream it out and put in whatever size larger pin you choose.

I think for ease of working and adjustment, I'd be inclined to take the door off the hinge, and then take the hinge apart, but if all you're fighting is worn pins, you can probably just do it one pin at a time.

My lower driver's side pin on my '99 is worn also and causing the door to sag. The upper hinge and pin seems fine and does not move when I lift the door up/down an inch. The only roll pin I see is the limiting bar that prevents the door from opening up all the way. The door hinge pins do not appear to be that easy to remove with the amount of space you have to work in.

On my '99, one half of the door bracket is welded to the door frame, but the door side uses three bolts mounting them to the door. I imagine you could unscrew the door from there without removing the door pins (that seems to be an easier method on my year XJ). Once the door is free, perhaps you will have easier access to the hinge pins and bushings.

Last edited:
Back