• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water pump issue (searched already)

WEJOXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Needed to replace water pump, go to take out the four bolts on the pump and boom... sheared the head right off one of them (last one too of course).

Can I use a tap and die set to fix the problem on this or am I looking for something else? Little leery because the bolt goes into the block...

Thanks for the help.

If just the head popped off then get the t/stat housing out of the way. Then put a little heat to the remaining piece of the bolt, then as it cools hose it down with PB Blaster. Repeat a couple times. You then have a couple options--vice grips, a stud remover, or weld a nut on the broken bolt.

Stud tool: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00996466000P?vName=Sears%20Pro&cName=Professional&sName=Building%20&%20Remodeling&sid=IDx20070921x00003a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=00996466000P

EDIT: use new stainless steel hardware when you put it back together, and use anti-seize on the threads or you will fighting this again.

Thanks for the tips joe_peters. Thought about the heat to expand the housing, pry it off and go the bolt extractor/vice grip route. The bolt took about an 1/8th of the threading and there's rust on the surface of where it sheared as well. Go figure. So I think welding is out.

Also tried to think of a good way to break the most of the housing leaving just a bit of it to get the bolt shaft out...

Back