• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Goin to a full size spare, recommendations?

I am going to buy a jeep wheel (anyone have the ones that are the alloys on the 93's for sale?) and upgrade my dohnut spare to a full size. does anyone have recomendations for mounting it? will it fit inside with out huge mods the braket I have now? what does everybody else have? I want to do this as cheap as possible.
thanks much
nate

I have always had a full-size so this may not be of any help. My friend's 94 XJ had a donut and I stuck the flat full size on it and it fit ok. May have been a full size bracket, however. It's my understanding it SHOULD work OK. But I may be wrong.

Depends on the tire size. A 30 will probably fit. A 31 will not. I had to turn the rim around so the inside of the rim was facing out. HTH Jim

The first thing I did with my 93 was replace the donut with a full size spare. The mount has held a 30" spare tire just fine for 10 plus years. Its a little tight squeezing the tire between the rear hatch and the back seat, but it does fit. My back seat is a wee bit scuffed up from the spare, but you only notice it when taking the spare out.

93GRNXJ said:
(anyone have the ones that are the alloys on the 93's for sale?)
nate

As the others have said, a full-size tire up to 30" will fit.

Two years ago I bought an alloy like my 92 has (5-spoke, kinda looks like the S-10 Blazers of the same vintage), and kept the best of my tires when I reshod.

Also, like ILLXJ said, mount the thing so that the inside of the rim is facing into the cargo area, and it'll fit fine.

As for where to get the rim, try 1-800-HUBCAPS. I got my extra rim there (I got a new one, but you might score a good used one if you're lucky). I actually went there, but I'm only 25 minutes from them (Easton, PA).

HTH,

Rob

I actually have a 31 in the back of my, and my rear seat latches. Although it does touch the tail gate. If I boosted it up slightly higher, it would fit better, but I have the factory overhead sound bar that limits it by a couple of inches.

Johnny

Back