• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP242 transfer case seal - quick question

auswee

NAXJA Forum User
A few weeks ago I had some oil on the back window of my 2001 XJ and sure enough, the transfer case was leaking. I took it to the dealership in the town I was working in and they said that while they didn't have a new seal in stock, it was probably OK, that they could re-seal it with silicone and send me on my way. They charged me $89, did a cleanup on the undercarriage and rear of the vehicle to remove the oil spots, and I felt like they treated me fairly.

Yesterday I noticed that the transfer case is leaking again, so I decided to just bite the bullet have a new seal put on. I called a 2nd dealership, a dealership in the town where I'm living, who said that there is no such thing as a transfer case seal as a gasket, that it was hand-sealed with silicone and that was it.

If there's no gasket, can someone explain why the hell I am finding replacement NP242 seals and gaskets on a google search, and why the first dealership told me that there was indeed a part that could be replaced?

What's the best course of action?

When I took apart my 242, I didn't see any gasket, just some RTV holding the case halfs together. The '91 I purchased last november had just had the 242 transfercase gone through by a dealership (Had the invoice), and sure enough, they used RTV to put it back together.

Best course of action, seal the transfercase with RTV.

Then why do they sell replacement gaskets???

Because its just one more way to seal it, just like they sell gaskets for differential covers, but most people use RTV.

I too just looked around, and didn't see any actual gaskets that were for the case halfs.

Last edited:
So what does everyone think the first dealership meant when they told me they didn't have the seal in stock but could get it??

Damn now I'm confused haha.

:thumbup: on your signature / tag line!

they probably meant the rear seal that goes on the tail cone were the drive shaft slip yoke goes inside.( #16 on the diagram) its a round seal that is a bear to get out. i just bought one from napa auto in case mine started leaking as i just did a transmission transfer case swap with a used unit. no leaky after 100 miles so far so i have a spare seal to carry on the trail.

Last edited:
Back