• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gauge problem

tkjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched and came up empty. I have a '93 HO and an '87 with a d44, both have gauge cluster problems. On my 93 I burned up a ballast resistor and at the same time my gauge died. I have the full gauge make-up tac, speedo, and the 4 smaller ones. Only one gauge, the gas gauge has quit. I tried grounding the tank directly to the frame to no avail. The other jeep has both gauges on the left side gone, gas and engine temp. I am waiting for time to redo the engine ground with a new one and I have checked the fuses, any ideas? Any help would be appreciated.

When you burned up the ballast resistor, what else did you do, or have to replace? It sounds as if maybe a short in the wiring harness or the pump might have done in the gauge or the sender at the same time, or perhaps there's a broken wire or bad connection in the harness to the sender. I'm away from access to service manuals now, and I don't remember how the circuit works, but if you can find the pin for the gauge at the connector near the gas tank, you might be able to trace it, or jumper it to ground, and see what happens to the gauge.

On the other, I'd look at the ground connections and traces on the back side of the cluster itself, and at the plug connector. Perhaps a corroded contact or something. Some of the connections are made with screws through the printed circuit, and a loose or corroded one might contribute. When my 87 had roof and windshield leaks, all sorts of odd things happened behind and under the dash, including rotting the printed circuit traces right off of the cruise control module.

Back