• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

feed back about RuffCountry 4.5 lift

matjeep

NAXJA Forum User
hi guys!

im looking to lift my 89 xj whit the RC4.5 but not sure of the quality so i was wondering if any of u guys have tried ruff country?

i ear complain about noise but about that is it a good stuff??

thanks

If you are thinking of "Rough Country", yea, they make good stuff.

I have thier long arms, and they are really nice, but I wore out the passenger flex joint. I called, and with no verification, I already have a new one in the mail. Good service!

If you are thinking of "Rough Country", yea, they make good stuff.

I have thier long arms, and they are really nice, but I wore out the passenger flex joint. I called, and with no verification, I already have a new one in the mail. Good service!

thanks!! anyone else have that kit???

I have the 4.5" kit with new rear spring packs. I am very satified with my kit. It is very predictible on and off road which I like.

I did buy a JKS trackbar and Currie steering setup at the same time so as to upgrade other items I felt would be weak links in the system.

rides harsh. Went through a set of rear springs because they sagged. Even though they are warrantied, who wants to deal with that. I'm also replacing all the shocks because they stink.

rides harsh. Went through a set of rear springs because they sagged. Even though they are warrantied, who wants to deal with that. I'm also replacing all the shocks because they stink.
leafs are gonna sag a little. The regular shocks are cheapies but I have not heard much of anything about their 2.2 shocks. Replacing a leaf after you lifted it isn't bad at all compared to replacing an old rusty OEM leafspring.

I've got the 4.5 long arm kit and really like it. Like said above... Don't get the AAL. Your gonna want to get some HD shackle relocation brackets though. RC full leaf packs will give you horrible shackle angles. Use the search function. This kit has been covered time and time again. My .02

The rear leafs sagged particularly on the drivers side so bad in less than a year. It was only out trail riding 3 times in that time and it sagged well over 2 inches. Not to mention when I first put it on, I also had to add rear lift shackles just to level out the jeep. And a final note, one of my control arms has a ton of play side to side in the middle where it is threaded and I always have it packed with grease.

seems like a hit or miss sometimes, heard they've been getting better though. my friend ran the 4.5 AAL kit on his cherokee, that was about 2-3 years ago. seems to still sit pretty level today

I've got the RC 4.5 as well. I've had no problems over the past two years. Definitely upgrade the shocks though. This http://roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_4x.html is the best bang for the buck. 4.5" lift with full leafs, stainless steel extended brake lines, trac bar, sway bar quick discos, etc. Very good for the money.

This was my first lift kit back in 2006 I've since changed out everything but the rear leafs for one reason or another. Like has been stated already a 4.5" short arm lift will suck to drive on the road because of the steep CA angles, the AAL will sag, and the cheap LCA bushings will go bad every few months or every other trail ride and the shock suck, the 2.2 shocks might be better but I don't know. Like I said I went with the Rubicon Express super flex adj. CA's, monotube shocks & HD track bar instead and haven't looked back. If you do get there 4.5" kit you really will enjoy the long arm kit much better and your save some money buying the kit you want/need the first time rather than upgrading later. Save your money and do it right the first time. I'm not sure what all comes with they're kits but you'll need an adj. track bar, drop pitman arm, longer brake lines F&R, swaybar discos and an SYE/rear shaft with probably a 4* shim as well in the rear leaf packs to set your pinion angle. Oh and speaking of pinion angle if it doesn't come with adj UCA's, which it may I don't know, you'll need those as well to adjust the front.

Last edited:
i got the rustys 4.5 in with aal and i love it easy to put on. i also got the flexends and they work amazing i can climb up a 37 and keep the other 3 wheels on the ground.

The RC 4.5" short arm has treated me pretty well so far. There are a few things you will bang your head against the wall over if this is your first lift though. In retrospect, I would have also:

replaced steering (instead of waiting until this week, a year later, to buy JCR 1-ton)
serviced/replaced steering box (if you're going to do it, do it now, otherwise check to make sure everything is in good order, because now is a good time to do it)
replaced leaf bolts into frame (yeah, I know, but mid state bolt and screw didn't have them)
replaced UCA bushings
planned ahead with either BPE's or ideally the (overpriced) JKS x-over rear shock mount
stainless extended brake hoses (optional, but ideal)
DISCOS!!!!! (and optionally a removed rear sway bar, if you got new packs and not just AAL)

As always, torque and lock-tite to spec, and check check check the u-bolts for proper preload when torquing to prevent a sheared retaining pin and thusly shifted (4" rearward) main leaf which I have experienced. I do believe RC will be remedying this for me on their dime as well. Enjoy.

Back