• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

? on rear hitch mounting

poomero

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 90 xj and i am putting a rear trailer hitch on it. I had the old 1 inch one and i am putting the 2 inch on.

I have 2 bolts coming down from the frame that you put the hitch on and then screw the nuts from the bottom up clamping the hitch to the frame.

My question for everyone is, is this the normal set up. I am asking because i was looking at the nut strips from jcr and i don't think they will fit with my jeep due to the bolts coming down from the top of the frame. Let me know if i am explaining this right or if you have any other questions.

Thanks everyone.

NutStrips are the factory original system for hitches and gas tanks skids. All the factory bolts go up into the strips. They are the most preferred method because they reinforce and clamp the frame-rail between the strip and the hitch.

I have a 90 xj and i am putting a rear trailer hitch on it. I had the old 1 inch one and i am putting the 2 inch on.

I have 2 bolts coming down from the frame that you put the hitch on and then screw the nuts from the bottom up clamping the hitch to the frame.

1.My question for everyone is, is this the normal set up.
2. I am asking because i was looking at the nut strips from jcr and i don't think they will fit with my jeep due to the bolts coming down from the top of the frame. Let me know if i am explaining this right or if you have any other questions.

Thanks everyone.

1. Not for the 2" reciever, Mine had four bolts per side, plus two that tie in to the rear core support.
2. Like the third picture down on this page? Should not be a problem. You may want to pop out the existing studs, if they are of the type muddypunk suggested. Nutstrips are preferable. However if you have trouble aligning the hitch and tank skid like I did, adding a couple studs is no big thing.

Back