• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Neutral Safety Switch Question

truck7575

NAXJA Forum User
I took off my neutral safety switch to clean it and reinstall and it was cracked in half... no wonder it was giving me problems. Anyway, I have a new one and I was wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks or anything I should know about reinstalling it.. any tips or tricks or advice would be great! Do I have to adjust it once I get it back on or what.

Thanks
Rick

The JP article is rather vague and was hoping for some more detail from someone.. I just assumed that the new one would come with dielectric grease inside already.. should I open it up and grease it down? Plus the article shows reinstalling the same sensor and it says you have to adjust it but I dont understand why when you just reinstall it right back in the same position you took it off in. Which is also why I was curious about the new one.. I guess I just need to know the reasoning behind the readjustment and more specifically how to do it.

NSS prevents the engine from cranking unless you are in Park or Neutral. It also tells the TCU the physical location of the gear selector. And last, but not least, if it isn't adjusted correctly your backup lights won't work.

You can A**ume that some line monkey put dielectric grease in your new NSS--unless it was built on a hangover Monday, or an I'm too tired from working all week Friday.

Scroll down to the bottom of the thread--there will be links to related articles to help you.

Good luck.

Also remember that it's been behind the front axle and right above the ground for at least nine years, maybe more depending on what year your jeep is. Automotive electronics go through a lot of vibration, heat, terrible crap being thrown at them, and by now, the dielectric grease put on it at the factory is probably the consistency of tar and full of assorted debris. When I popped one open recently, the spring contacts barely moved because they were so full of sludge. Once things get that gummed up, the spring loaded contacts probably won't have enough "oomph" to actually press through the layer of sludge on the contacts and make a good electrical connection.

Obviously this doesn't apply to a brand new sensor. Then it's just adjustment.

I remember having to break the old switch into pieces to get it off. I Never-Seized the shaft before connecting the new one. Just my 2 cents.

Ken C.

Definitely the Jeeper's best friend. I don't think the hardware used was properly treated.

Back