• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stalls on fast left turns

green95xj

NAXJA Forum User
98 xj aw4 231 taking a left turn onto a street if you have to do it fast the jeep will first Act like it's running out of gas then die. This only happens on left turns. It does happen on left turns in the road if it's sharp enough. Any ideas I need to get this fixed. Thanks

It always does this, or only when you are low on gas? This will always happen when you are low on gas. Mine does it on hard lefts below about 3/8ths of a tank. If it does it all the time, I am not sure what the issue would be. Maybe a weak or dying pump?

My 98 would do this when the tank was less than a quarter full. When above a quarter full it did not have the problem. Turned out to be a clogged up fuel filter. Unfortunately the fuel filters are in the tank so you need to drop the tank to replace them.

Couple things I would check--engine and trans mounts, including the bolts that hold the mount-to-engine brackets on. Then look/feel along the crank sensor harness to see if it has any frayed or burned spots. Also, check the crank sensor bolts as well as the bellhousing to engine bolts for tightness.

Don't drive an XJ with less than 1/4 tank of fuel. You should be keeping at least 1/2 tank full, just in case of a Zombie uprising!

Post up what you find.

Good luck.

My 2000 does this when the fuel tank is less than 3/8 full.

Is there any way to remedy this besides a fill up when at 1/4 tank??

Obviously there aren't any baffles in the tank.

My 2000 does this when the fuel tank is less than 3/8 full.

Is there any way to remedy this besides a fill up when at 1/4 tank??

Obviously there aren't any baffles in the tank.

There actually is a large "bowl" inside the tank that is supposed to help with the problem.

EDIT: not sure if the 97+ plastic tanks have this feature.

I just put the motor in trans and motor mounts are good. No burnt or chafed wires I can see. Filled the tank up and still does it. I was just in my 97 xj gas tank changeing the pump so I know there is no baffle in the tank. Any other ideas I rolled the 97 now I need this running right to be my dd. Thanks

How about if you go into a parking lot--empty--and make hard left circles?

You can hook up a fuel pressure gauge and duct tape it to the windshield, make the left turns and see if the fuel pressure is dropping out.

Trying to find out if it is fuel supply or ignition cutting out is going to be hard.

If you keep the rpms up will it keep going? Could it be a low idle/PS pump problem?

Don't think it's a low idle issue because it will die when I'm on the gas. I can't seem to find a fuel presure gauge with a long enough hose to be able to drive and read it. Thanks for the ideas.

Like "joe" says, you need to isolate a fuel delivery problem from an ignition issue. Doing as he suggested would help to give you a starting point.
Loosing fuel pressure, as indicated using a fuel pressure gauge, during an "event" would help you to narrow the issue down to fuel delivery or "other". It would appear that a loose connection (electrical or mechanical) is aided and abetted by centrifugal force. My bet is loose electrical wire/component.

Back