• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to get Closed Cell Foam Sheets for Carpet???

brianglawson

NAXJA Forum User
SOOOOO... I got the inside of my XJ soaked 3 times in one week running doorless and not having a spare minute to get them back on. I've been driving it around for a few weeks with no carpet since then, but only to go to the river and haul my kayaks. It is WAY too hot in there for my little girl or dog for that matter, even with the AC on.

I am getting a new piece of carpet out of a wrecked XJ, however i would like to tear all the Jute off and replace it with CLosed Cell Microfoam sheets.

I imagine that i will glue them to the back of the carpet in relatively the same pattern as the Jute.

Question is where can I order this stuff??

I want something that wont absorb water, but is flexible enough to bend around the tunnels and such.

Thanks
Brian

P.s. what about this stuff? http://www.closedcellfoams.com/neoprene.html

FYI for those who don't know and are curious, Closed Cell Foam doesn't absorb water. So, if your Jeeper gets wet inside the carpet could dry much better without having the Jute to suck up the water and the closed cell foam will still provide good insulation. My jute hasn't dried after 2 weeks of being uninstalled even!!!!!

oh? good call havn't thought about that!

I used Ensolite to replace my jute padding. Ordered from www.RAAMAudio.com they also sell a peal and stick version.

I used it on top of sound dampening material so the application would be a little different. Working on a hard surface it was easy to apply. I used spray glue let it tack up then stretched the foam a little. Applied some pressure and it stuck to every curve or crease. I’m happy with the result but it was also a lot of work. If I ever did it again I would spray the interior with LizardSkin then throw down some Ensolite on the larger surfaces no glue and call it a day.

Here’s a picture of what it looks like under my carpet.

imgp1328.jpg

I would suggest applying bedliner or similar heavy duty paint to the floorboards before installing the foam - water will still wick between the foam and the floor, and this way it will not cause rust.

I would suggest applying bedliner or similar heavy duty paint to the floorboards before installing the foam - water will still wick between the foam and the floor, and this way it will not cause rust.

x2
If you are already in there making improvements, it would be a crime to overlook bedliner to rust proof your XJ. Since you are putting carpet over it, you can probably ignore the gooey foil patches & just lightly sand, wash & bedline the interior.
Then foam & carpet, or sound dampener foam & carpet, or...

My only concern would be reaction to heat--over the CAT and exhaust.

My only concern would be reaction to heat--over the CAT and exhaust.

I took out my carpet a little over a year ago. Only seems to get hot on longer drives and then primarily in the trans tunnel, mostly up front where the drivers / passenger's feet are. I put closed cell foam down in the cargo area and haven't noticed any funny smells from there.
If I were going to foam the trans tunnel, I'd shoot it when it was good and hot with an IR thermometer and find a foam that could take that temperature. Alternatively, insulate the underside of the trans tunnel.
You could even look into heat reflective foil to glue to the underside of the foam, though we are now getting into fancy-pants tech. A clear violation of the KISS principle.

I was just at sears and they are selling those foam shop floor tiles that fit together like a puzzle, except these are 2'x2'. There $19 for a 6 pack and one side has a grey carpeted surface.

After I monstaline my cherokee next month, I may by some to quiet the cargo area.

I was just at sears and they are selling those foam shop floor tiles that fit together like a puzzle, except these are 2'x2'. There $19 for a 6 pack and one side has a grey carpeted surface.

After I monstaline my cherokee next month, I may by some to quiet the cargo area.

Yup, same tiles I bought. Trimmed & put down in the cargo area. Quieted down the cargo area nicely. Haven't endeavored to try and get the passenger area yet.
I bet you could put the same tiles down on the floor boards and under the seats, leave the trans tunnel alone, quiet it down some more.

I ended up using Foil insulation from Lowes. It was $30 for the roll and It's awesome!! It's foil on both sides with air pockets in between. Used about 3 layers of it because it is pretty thin, but seems to work great!!!. Carpet is cool to the touch!!!

Back