• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driver's door does not stay open...

okcjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I went to get out of my Jeep today. When i opened the door, I heard a snapping sound as if something metal had broken. I then realized that I had broken some piece that prevents the door from slamming shut when open. If I tap the bottom of the door, I can hear the piece rattling in there. I plan on removing the interior panel and getting to this "mystery piece."

Does anyone know what piece may have broken? Is it something that I can reattach, or is it a welded piece? I don't have a FSM, so I really have no idea what the heck broke....

Anyways, my leg has been crunched twice now by the damn door and I would really like to fix this problem! I and my leg will thank you!

Thanks!

Connects to an arm mid way between the two hinges, uses a pin. I had the pin pop out and and had to go track down a new roll pin. Sounds like yours broke off inside the door, I think it comes as an assembly but I'm not sure.

It's called a front door check and it prevents the door from opening too wide.
Part Number 5523 5571

doorcheckck6.jpg

you can go to a junk yard and get a replacement ...same year is good and front or rear... easy repair and cheap part they break on jeeps

Speaker removal will help a lot. It's two nuts. 13mm I think. I think I'm going to get new I am going to fix 3rd time and final. put some good grease in there.

I read somewhere, that the later model year had a spring or rubber stop to prevent the stress when the door hits full open. Supposedly it also didn't let the door swing open quite as much as well. I had the passenger side break on me and push the bolts inward through the door frame. I welded it back together and it's been okay since. All the ones I tried pulling in the junkyard were badly cracked and ready to break so it's not really worth it, imo.

I put one of these on from the dealer and had to add lube soon after as it was beginning to bind, brand new part. Did come with the rubber stop. Needed to remove speaker.

What you hear rattling is the two pieces of coil spring that broke.
Need to do the same fix on mine.
Wayne

Back