• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New mech fan or electric fan conversion?

solomon7

NAXJA Forum User
Well I put in a new 2 row CSf last fall after the fan chewed mine up when the motor mount sheared off. Seems I may have cooked out the thermal clutch in the fan though (fan stuck on frame/shroud for over 2 or 3 hours:shiver:) since lately in over 70 degee weather it runs 15 degrees warmer than usual, an deven with the aux fan running doesn't want to come down even in idle.

I've heard there's a heavy duty clutch you can get and also about some using a ZJ fan or something like that.
I've also seen people switch over to electric fans.
Which would be the best, most efficient option?
Seems it would be ideal to drop in a high cfm low draw fan but I wouldn't know where to get one or which one to get.

What would you all suggest?
It's our 8 year anniversary tomorrow and we were gonna go wheeling and camping. Don't feel to safe doing that alone the way it sits now.

98 ZJ HD fan, NAPA part number 272310, $44, direct fit. NOT the ZJ MAX COOL, it won't fit. Note: if you can't get to a NAPA be wary of any "crossover" reference in another brand.

While I have owned a number of vehicles with electric fans only, and that setup can be great for water crossings--wire in a command override switch and turn off the fans--I would rather have the CFM moving ability of the stock fan with the ZJ fan clutch.

The Ford Taurus electric fan conversion is popular, do a search.

Just curious, but why not electric fan?
Ya gain a bit of power I hear, but what are the cons to it and the pros of the ZJ vs an electric fan?
I don't know what the stock cfm is or the ZJ's vs an electrical.
\

Getting enough CFMs with an electric conversion, other than the aforementioned Taurus conversion, is a crap shoot.

As I said, do a lot of water crossings then an electric conversion is the best.

The one down side to an electric conversion is what if you lose the alternator, particularly during a water crossing? I can drive one hell of a long way running just the engine off a battery. You can't go very far on just the battery if you have to run the electric fans to keep from destroying the engine.

Have had a few 4x4s Ive run electric fans on in the past .... mainly for the reason joe_peters mentioned ... water crossings. Was easier to switch em off than spend a coupla minutes fitting the nosecone cover.

As they were pretty old vehicles with plenty of engine bay space ... I kept the original fixed fan in the tool kit ... to put back on in the event of electrical issues ...

After the second or third time refitting the fixed fan ... I never bothered taking it off - just ripped out the waste of space electrics.

Since my XJ is running at 195' in 100'+ temps whether in 2wd-hi or 4wd-lo with a 2core rad and a USMW "heavy duty" labelled,fan clutch .... Ive yet to find a reason to fit an electric main fan .... and thats even with the RHD models having the clutchfan in the wrong place for best operation - and that on its own, is as good a reason as any for contemplate a mod.

Oh, it's a 96 auto 4x4 4 liter. duh.:laugh3:
Still go with the
ZJ fan Joe?

I'm running one for the last two or three years--no complaints, never reaches the 210 mark.

Just curious, but why not electric fan?
Ya gain a bit of power I hear, but what are the cons to it and the pros of the ZJ vs an electric fan?
I don't know what the stock cfm is or the ZJ's vs an electrical.
\
Pros to electric conversion

* Less crankshaft drag in cool weather, so engine is more efficient. Usually translates into more available power and can translate into better mileage if you use it correctly.

* You can turn it off when you want, EG water crossings or highway driving.

* You can turn it on when you want, EG trails or whatever.

Cons to electric conversion

* It won't be as robust in normal driving. The stock fan just works.

* You have to research, buy fans and sensors and switches, wire it all together, etc. It's a lot of work to change over, and you may have to tweak the parts until you get it working the way you want.

Just stuck the ZJ clutch in. Had to loosen up the rad and really shoehorn it in for some reason but it fits. Thank god I remembered to put a piece of poster board between the clutch and rad or it wouldn't have ended well. had to slide/wedge it inbetween the studs and rad.

whiiiRRRRRRRRR!!!!!
Got a few turned heads on the way to the store.
Even got asked by another XJ'er "does that one have a v8 in it? it sounds more loud and windy than mine":yelclap:

We're making our trip tomorrow and it's supposed to be pretty hot. Picked a nice route through Lolo Pass around Mt Hood, up to High Rock then off to camp in the valleys by the river!
Wired in a manual switch and adjustable temp sensor for the aux fan JIC.
My 97-01 aux fan should be here when I get back. Heard they pull more than mine so it couldn't hurt.

Last edited:
We're making our trip tomorrow and it's supposed to be pretty hot. Picked a nice route through Lolo Pass around Mt Hood, up to High Rock then off to camp in the valleys by the river!
Wired in a manual switch and adjustable temp sensor for the aux fan JIC.
My 97-01 aux fan should be here when I get back. Heard they pull more than mine so it couldn't hurt.

Green with envy!

I have gut-run duty. Hot, steaming barrels of beef guts. Want to trade?

Back