• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bad night/ broke t case

CV95XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Well just driving down the road, and all of a sudden started hearing some popping noises, was about a mile from my house so I kept going, then heard some loud grinding and it stopped going, it seemed to start spinning freely. I ended up driving home in 4 wheel drive, but by the time I got home, that had broke too, Im pretty sure it's the t case, my question is what usually breaks, if I can re use my slip yoke, that would be great, save some money, Also do you think AA sye would have any kind of warranty if it is broke, because I've only had it for 3 months. Im thinking the big chain inside might have snapped or I stripped some teeth on the main gear. anyone have anything similar happen?

check it out, Post #69

You won't really know until you pull it apart.

After that a proper failure analysis or "autopsy" should be performed. Make sure when you put it back together you hooked everything up correctly and all your crap like the oil pump is in the right place.

Maybe you got lucky and just forgot to install a snap ring or something.

Take it out and apart tomorrow. Keep us posted.

My transfer case broke a while back to and I just pulled a used one out at a local junk yard, cost me 100 bux cause the owner didn't really know what it was for and it had very little miles. I would recommend to just look for a new on because its gonna be a lot of work to take it all apart and rebuild it. I'd personally just look for a new t case

I was planning on getting a t case from the junkyard, but I have a 97 jeep (I know my sig says 95) but the yard only has older ones, aren't the older ones different? If I could put an older one in that would be fine but, then I would have to buy another SYE, Im going to pull it out right now, so I'll keep you guys posted.

Take a look and compare the input shaft length and splines before you buy it. If you do this it should work out for ya.

You didn't lose your rear driveshaft did you? You just described the sounds that might happen. If you just threw it in 4hi without looking and drove home you'd lose all the TCase fluid and at highway speeds thats bad.

From his description it sounds to me like CV957XJ stripped the teeth off the output shaft or the teeth off the 2wd gear that it meshes with. I just had something similar happen to my teralow'd NP231. On my last trip out I had stripped out 2low & 4low but was able to drive home once I got shifted back into 2hi. Post mortem revealed the JB conversions shaft was toast. Good news is I just picked up a teralow with an SYE for $800. It came out of a 2005 TJ so the input shaft is longer. So I'll have to take it apart to and swap in the short one from the old one. No big deal but man I would have been sweat if it was a match. The new one also has a RE hack & tap SYE which I haven't heard much good about so I will swap it with a new SYE shaft. I thinking about AA brand too.

Back