• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help!!!

kenny schmitt

NAXJA Forum User
So I parked my 99xj the other night and it wouldn't start the next day... It cranks but won't start and I think I'm not getting spark cuz I couldn't get it to arch from the coil. I think I got some fowler coming from the wires on the coil

can anybody explain the proper way to test this before I go buy parts. And also what else could it be?

Describe "wouldn't start". Did it turn over? Does the fuel pump run up pressure?
Possible causes are:
1. CPS
2. TPS
3. Cap and Rotor need replacement
4. Plug wires
5. Blown fuse - fuel system
6. Failed fuel pump.
7. etc.

Describe "wouldn't start". Did it turn over? Does the fuel pump run up pressure?
Possible causes are:
1. CPS
2. TPS
3. Cap and Rotor need replacement
4. Plug wires
5. Blown fuse - fuel system
6. Failed fuel pump.
7. etc.

8. ASD relay

Determine what the missing element is:

No spark--crank sensor, coil, PCM, ASD relay, cap, rotor, plug wires, harness?
No fuel--fuel pump, fuel pump relay, synch sensor in distributor, harness?
No compression?
Something not in the right quantity/quality, not at the right time?

No

So I hope I am checking the right way nut I don't seem to have spark or fuel. I grounded a screwdriver and tried to get an arch from the coil but nothing.... I also held down the valve on the fuel rail and nothing even when cranking the car. So it cranks but won't turn over or start and I changed the cap rotor coil, checked the fuses. What next relay? And am I looking for fuel and spark the right way? I'm lost

Best way to test for spark is with a spark plug (spare or pull one from the engine) with the spark plug wire attached and the body of the plug grounded to the engine--then just watch the plug gap for spark.

Use a voltmeter or test light and see if you have 12 volts to the coil.

Ya I did that and no spark. I'm charging my battery with a booster right now. What about the fuel? Is that normal? Shouldn there be pressure?

Try cycling the key OFF to ON, count three, then key OFF; repeat three times, then check for pressure at the Schrader valve on the rail.

No spark and no 3-second prime of the fuel pump would point to a bad ASD relay. You can try swapping another relay into the ASD spot and see what happens.

So I just put a new battery. Did the fuel test and got a little fuel out o the rail not much tho. And I swapped the cooling fan relay with the add relay and still nothing... Now what? Alternate side parking is tomarrow so guess its too late

Ok.

After cycling the key 3 times or more you should have a pretty strong amount of fuel pressure at the Schrader valve.

Can you hear the fuel pump cycle each time the key is turned to ON?

Are your gauges working when you turn the key to ON?

So the speed guage never works and I think the oil flickers a little when the key goes on...... I didn't seem to hear the fuel pump. How Lon does it make noise for? And no I don't have preasure at the rail. On top of that I have no spark. I havnt checked since I replaced the battery but I'm sure I still don't. I'm not sure where to look next. Any ideas?

Ok. Use a test light or volt meter and check for 12 volts to the primary side of the coil. If you don't have 12 volts there, then move to the ASD relay as that is where it is supposed to come from. The PCM controls the ASD relay ground, so if you have power to the ASD relay but not out to the coil the issue will likely be with the ground signal from the PCM.

So I do not have 12 volts
On the primary side of the coil but I'm not sure how to test the asd relay.. And the PCM is where? Sorry to
Sound like a newb but this is one problem I have not seen in an xj. And how can I test the PCM? Or the ground?

Your PCM is located on the driver's side fenderwell behind the air filter cover--has a large 60 pin connector attached.

The PDC is right next to the battery.

I will post up some ASD relay info tomorrow, its bed time for Bonzo now.

I've had a bad CPS short out the ASD relay, thus not letting the fuel pump prime. Try disconnecting the CPS(connector is at the fuel rail mount closest to the firewall on driver's side), turn the ignition on and off a couple times, then check for pressure at the fuel rail.

Ok so when I disconnected the cps I got fuel.....the spare cps from my 96 didn't work so I'm gonna get one tomarrow. Is this it or could ut still be somthing else?

So I may need the asd relay as well? Guess I should just pick them both up...... Any waybto be sure before I buy those parts?

Back