• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

91 XJ pushing oil out of dipstick tube.

nordic44

NAXJA Forum User
My 91 cherokee has 286K - I haven't solved the intermitent stalling problem reported a wk ago but got some good direction in response to my post. THANKS! I'm also trying to find out how to reduce crankcase pressure. When turning in excess of 2k RPM, oil is pumping out of the dipstick tube. My initial thought was worn rings but the engine runs strong, plenty of power. If not rings - what? Is there some venting that can be done to correct the problem?

This model does not have a PCV. It has a CCV - Crankcase Ventilation system. The plumbing includes a vacuum line & a vapor canister and yes the air filter has oil in it.

You'll want to make sure the CCV system is not clogged up. The rear line tends to clog. Also, a factory service tech posted a fix they used to do when the air filter would get oily. The 2 inlet tubes inside the valve cover were apparently a little long from the factory, so they would trim them a half inch or so and reinstall. Helped to keep them from sucking in oil.

That fix was posted up by Cruiser54, but I think it only works on Renix valve covers.

Start at the intake manifold and make sure the vacuum port that has the line attached that runs to the rear grommet on the valve cover is clear--stiff wire or a drill bit (don't drop it), then the vacuum line itself, and finally make sure the orifice in the valve cover is clear.

You also want to make sure that the filtered fresh air to the front of the valve cover is good. The "J" hose off the air filter box likes to rot on the inside and collapse when the engine is under a load.

Good luck.

Back