• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do I need this

fasteddieyj

NAXJA Forum User
Ok guys, don't flame away as this is my first attempt at doing gears. Doing 4.10s in my D30 and I managed to destroy one of the pieces during the tear down. It appears to be called the pinion bearing baffle. I've searched on the net and can't seem to find it listed for sale anywhere. I did find it in a diagram on the Quadratec site, however it doesn't list it as a for sale item. What happens if I put the gears in without this? If I have to have one, where can I find one? TIA

Innee or an outee?

How bad did you mess it up?

I've hammered 'em back flat again and just pressed the new bearing down on top of it.
X2 the function of this part is to hold oil in the pinion bearing. The only critical detail is that the part that is between the bearing and the pinion has to be good and flat. The rest can be bent up as long as it doesn't rub anything.

According to the parts catalog (grabbed a random one 91-93, should be the same on all years though, or functionally equivalent) you want part number J063 6566.

http://www.just4jeep.com/catalog/product6514.html - no idea why they list it for a CJ series but not an XJ.

Thanks for all the replies. I actually found the baffle through the local dealer for a whopping $3. The only problem is that they couldn't find one anywhere within about a 2-3 hr drive. So I just ended up hammering it back into shape like Vetteboy suggested.

Back