• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep starts, but when turning will die sometimes...

Muddy Beast

NAXJA Forum User
'88 Cherokee, stock steering box, IRO OTK steering, welded trackbar bracket + brace.

So since getting 35's I've noticed that when I turn my RPMs will drop a little bit when I first start then engine up (hasn't warmed up it seems) and sometimes I'll be turning out of a parking lot and the engine will just die. For no apparent reason. It's also done this after driving for 10+ minutes, stopping to get gas, then as I leave the station it'll die.

It hasn't been too big of deal as I'll just throw it in neutral, start her back up, and go. And I haven't really had it happen once I get moving, it seems to be only at a slow crawl when turning.

Anyone have any thoughts? Is it possible my bigger tires are putting enough stress on the pump to slow down the serpentine belt/RPMs?

TPS is new, IAC was cleaned recently, all sensor plugs are cleaned, battery grounds are good (better than good with more than 4 extra grounds), fuel pump was recently replaced with another good one I had, fuel filter is new, oil is good.

~Scott

Sounds like the PS pump is dragging the engine down to a stall.

What is your idle RPM after 20 minutes of operation--looking for 700~750 rpms, auto is checked in DRIVE, make sure you have a helper keep their foot on the service brake. Don't rely on the dash tach, use a separate on for an accurate reading.

Idle is pretty normal. That is, according to the dash tach and my butt. Idles pretty much the same as it always has, and same as my last Jeep. But it does like to studder a bit once in awhile. Seems to be pretty random as far as I can tell, where RPMs will drop and then it goes back up again. But my understanding is that's fairly normal for the XJ to fluctuate in idle RPMs once in awhile. This will range from 500-700...closer to 500 it feels like it wants to die but normally bounces back up in revs on its own and does fine.

~Scott

Well, I would pull the intake tube and make sure no one has monkeyed around with the throttle plate set screw--3/32 allen, back it out until it no longer effects the throttle plate, then turn it back in until you catch the first perceptible movement of the throttle plate, then leave it alone. It is only there to prevent the steel throtthle plate from slamming fully closed and damaging the alloy throttle body. Then I would run through the throttle body cleaning, including pulling the IAC and cleaning its port thoroughly. Clean the IAC too, be careful of breaking it.

Then run all of your grounds, and last but no means least test/adjust the TPS. That should help with the idle, if it doesn't I would suspect a lazy/failing IAC. If so grab a couple at the salvage yard--cheap and one should be Ok.

While you are fooling around, pull the serpentine belt and check ALL of the pulleys to see if anything feels like its bearings are failing.

Good luck.

Also, with the 35s, did you mod the PS pump to get a little more power at idle?

Back