• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wrangler d30 w/cam adjuster bolts in a XJ?

troy

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a front d30 with 4.10 gears l'd like to put in my XJ. I've just noticed it has cam adjuster bolts in the lower control arm bolt locations on the front axle.

Do I have to use these? I assume I do, since the bolt hole opening is oblong. How do I align the Jeep with these?

It is all ready to bolt up, just ran into this little snag. Also, do I have to buy these specialty bolts from Jeep? They were rusted solid so I had to cut them off.

Thanks foe the help.

Troy

rockauto.com sells them, I believe NAPA has them, possibly others.

so wrangler axles will straight bolt up?

YJ runs leafs, so the fact that they are HP is useless.

what is the problem with LP axels? when lifted does it create such extreme angles in the driveline that it binds? or do they just hang lower and eat up ground clearance making them undesirable?

YJ runs leafs, so the fact that they are HP is useless.

If one wanted to cut off the spring mounts and weld the proper ones on they could use it.

The Low pinions are not as strong driving forward in a front axle application due to the gear set. Hp are reverse cut. but yes the pinion angle is going to be better on a HP.

I hate it when people leave out that detail. Gives people the idea that LP front axles are worthless.

If you are bound up and need to go in reverse, a LP front axle will be stronger.

I have a LP D-30 from a '98 TJ in my '90 XJ.

You might need the XJ steering assembly and I would use the cam bolts just to be able to add a little but more adjustment in the front end. I bought mine (the cam bolts) from Napa for $40 for the pair. Obviously if yuou can pull them from the JY I would do so. I tried to use part of the TJ steering and part of the XJ steering...they would not interchange. Since my XJ stuff was still in ok shape i used it all. So if the TJ pitman arm TRE will bolt to the XJ pitman arm you can use the TJ steering as well.

PLENTY of folks run 35" tires on TJ's with stock axles which in general weigh more than XJ's. If the $$ is right (and for me it was) I'd say go for it.

if i was going to cut off perches and throw a new axel under the front of my cherokee i would NOT be hunting for a YJ dana 30. sorry...

PLENTY of folks run 35" tires on TJ's with stock axles which in general weigh more than XJ's. If the $$ is right (and for me it was) I'd say go for it.
see, thats my thought. what size lift are you at and what drivetrain combo do you have (motor/trans/t-case)? at the right price i think id be happy with a LP 30 if it had 4.10s and was priced cheaper than regearing until i got my HP 30 regeared to 4.88s. i mean... for mild wheeling and mainly daily driving itd be plenty strong enough right?

as a college student itd be easier to throw money at my stock axels if they were on the work bench and the jeep was still drivable.

The last of the XJs (00-01) had a LP "TJ" axle. I've heard Cryco saved money by tossing the HP axle, and I've heard the new ex. manifold/pre-cat system on the '00 had clearance issues with the HP axle and they had to change it: doesn't matter now.

While the HP axle is more desirable, there's nothing wrong with the LP at moderate lift heights and reasonable tire sizes.

Back