• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Auxiliary lighting affecting cooling

CherBear

NAXJA Forum User
I am reworking my front bumper, and am considering mounting my lights nearly directly in front of the radiator. Right now I have 2 hella 700s (7 inch lights) and am most likely going to add a third.

My question is that will the decreased air flow over the radiator affect the cooling capacity drastically?

I am reworking my front bumper, and am considering mounting my lights nearly directly in front of the radiator. Right now I have 2 hella 700s (7 inch lights) and am most likely going to add a third.

My question is that will the decreased air flow over the radiator affect the cooling capacity drastically?

At low speeds it wont make any difference ...

At highway speeds the third could well be an issue. A Headlight & Wiring upgrade would probably be more beneficial than the third driving light.

Basically tho .... the condition/effectiveness of your radiator and fanclutch will be the deciding factor.

2 x 7" lights and a mesh bug screen on the grille havent been an issue on mine.

At low speeds it wont make any difference ...

At highway speeds the third could well be an issue. A Headlight & Wiring upgrade would probably be more beneficial than the third driving light.

Basically tho .... the condition/effectiveness of your radiator and fanclutch will be the deciding factor.

2 x 7" lights and a mesh bug screen on the grille havent been an issue on mine.

I already have HIDs up front, I just liked the look of 3 on the bumper for some reason. :eyes:

3118685_19_full.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, it will.

Yes, it will at road speeds. I have a Warn 9.5ti that I am going to lower because I can stay cool at any speed and any weather except at 65.

Hello, Greetings, Hajimemashite. First post to the forums for a long time (since my old XJ years ago). Now that thats out of the way.

I Have been doing a lot of research on lighting, issues of lighting, mounting of bumper lights. I ran across this thread and noticed it was the only one on the topic of lighting affecting cooling.

I planned on Lightforce 170s but decided to go with 140s but before I changed my mind I cut out some cardboard the roughly the size of 170s and decided to test them so I did this -
21709iphone005.jpg

Drove slow and fast and didnt notice any change in cooling. This is new territory so if you see a flaw in this idea please let me know.

The 140s are smaller so I believe they will not have any effect on cooling, any objections?

if you have a tendancy to overheat, obviously larger lights will make it much worse... i leave my 9's off 90% of the time because of this.

if you have a proper cooling system, you'll probably be ok... but you wont know till you try.

its a great time of year to try it out. you'll know right away! lol. i dont see a problem right now. in the spring if its an issue take them off

Upgrade your current Hellas to HID. Pretty easy to do.

Its not that I dont have enough lighting! HID headlights + hella 700s = a crap load of light for driving country roads. I just like the look of 3 aux lights up front.

If you do three then get 500s. The 700s are big and will block almost the entire radiator. At least with 500s they won't take up the whole thing so you will still get some airflow.

yeah i wouldnt really expect light to effect operating temp much, air will find its way around that stuff. i run a winch and lights in front of mine and it doesnt run any hotter than normal.

Back