• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 xj hub assembly

You'll need... 12mm hex socket (might be 11mm, I forget), 13mm 12pt socket, breaker bar, 36mm socket, 1/2 to 3/8 drive adapter, BFH, and a jackstand. You will also need a torque wrench capable of 175 ft-lbs for reassembly.

You'll need... 12mm hex socket (might be 11mm, I forget), 13mm 12pt socket, breaker bar, 36mm socket, 1/2 to 3/8 drive adapter, BFH, and a jackstand. You will also need a torque wrench capable of 175 ft-lbs for reassembly.

PB Blaster and some hardwood blocks might help.

perhaps a chisel or prybar as well.
A mapp torch may also be very handy.
I see that you're in PA, has the unit bearing ever been out? if it's factory the rust is going to have it in there really well. Be prepared to spend hours banging on it.

Also, it would be a good idea to pick up some sacrificial bolts to help pound out the bearing, search term in red to find the proper size.

perhaps a chisel or prybar as well.
A mapp torch may also be very handy.
I see that you're in PA, has the unit bearing ever been out? if it's factory the rust is going to have it in there really well. Be prepared to spend hours banging on it.

Also, it would be a good idea to pick up some sacrificial bolts to help pound out the bearing, search term in red to find the proper size.
If he's replacing the hub assembly, no need, just whack the crap out of the back edges of the wheel flange and it'll pop right out. I've done this on multiple northeastern axles that had never had the unit bearings out, including a '92 that had nothing left of the driver side coil perch or shock mount last weekend - it was so bad I had to hammer a 12mm 12pt onto the bolts (they were nearly round) and ended up welding a nut onto one of them.

I only bother to use sacrificial bolts and a hammer when I'm going to reuse the unit bearing.

I use the sacrificial bolt/power steering pump method. they pop right out with the aid of hydraulics.

Back