• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Sway Bar Location...

LBC970

NAXJA Forum User
I'm new here. Just bought my first Jeep. And I am having trouble with the front sway bar. Actually, there isn't one. And I would like to put it back in. (With disconnect-able links of course.) My problem is, I THINK I know where the sway bar used to run, but now there is a huge bracket in the way. Take a look...

P5210086.jpg

The red arrow on the left is where I think the brackets were for the sway bar. The green arrow on the right is where the lift bracket is, which is in the way for any kind of sway bar bracket.

Am I correct in where the sway bar is supposed to me? If not, where does it run? And if so, am I SOL for having a sway bar in there with the lift installed? I cant imagine that would be the case. I am sure I am missing something here...

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Cody

My 'puter won't show your pic, so I can't give any input on that, but I can say that I removed both of my sway bars- front and rear- about a year ago and haven't ever looked back. you just gotta get used to how it drives and everyone else feeling like they're gonna die. It's not that bad really.

I know, I can run without sway bars, but I don't want to. My commute involves 40 miles of narrow windy mountain roads, in snow, ice, and wind. I want the stability while on the road.

Nope, not where it goes. Go forward some more. There are two holes in the rails on each side. About a foot back from the front cross member. There will be about 3 or 4 holes where they mount as its the same place the front skid mounts.

Put them back in. Listen to Fidget and crap your pants while emergency maneuvering.

Talyn, you may be my hero. I couldn't find a single thing online showing where they went. But I see the four holes. I am going to pick up the sway bar in the morning, and see how it goes.

Thanks!

(Any recommendations on good disconnects for the XJ?)

I don't know for sure, but it looks like someone tried to turn your swaybar brackets on your axle, into coil spring retainers of some sort. That's going to have to be taken care of to mount your sway bar.

Can you get us more pics of the front end?

does this help?
IMG_1612-1.jpg

newcustomdisconnect.jpg

newcustomdisconnect2.jpg

bottom line, connect your disconnects, bolt em up to your sway bar and put it in position, it should give you a rough idea of where it should be.

JKS or RE.

Some quick googling for you:
01.jpg

13004-a.jpg

Also, you may want to consider a Hockis or Addco sway bar if you need to purchase one. Cheapest upgrade will be a bar from a limited as they are a bit thicker.

I was going for a stock sway bar from the junkyard, $60 out the door with original mounts...

I don't know for sure, but it looks like someone tried to turn your swaybar brackets on your axle, into coil spring retainers of some sort.

Lol.. it looks like just the stock links were removed and the stock bolts left in place.

I was going for a stock sway bar from the junkyard, $60 out the door with original mounts...
Cheap, but too much. Maybe look on here for a used one. If I had easy access to my old one I'd let it go for $20

Get the junkyard sway bar and get some JKS disconnects. They are hard to beat for the money and are simple and easy to use. You probably have too much lift to use stock end links.

P5210090

Thats my lower bracket...

EDIT: Sorry that was so huge

Bent is not a problem, I have a torch... =D

Last edited:
just for the record, I live way up in the mountains where we didn't see anything but snowy/icy roads for 4 months and never had any handling issues, unless I was doing it on purpose. :cheers:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and try to forewarn you of the problem you're probably going to run into. Judging by the parts I see in your pic, you probably have a RE 5.5" lift. The previous owner probably had an issue with the TRE that bolts up to the drag link hitting the sway bar mount on the axle. This is probably why the mount is bent, and also probably why they chose to remove the sway bar in the first place.

There are many threads on here regarding this issue and ways to go about addressing it. Do a little searching around so you know what to expect once you get the sway bar mounted up.

Just noticed your from Colorado...where about's?

I think I still have my front swaybar laying around somewhere, I'll see if I can dig it up. You might also wanna check out the Colorado chapter forum, post up a wanted ad and I'm sure if I can't find mine you'll be able to come up with one for next to nothing.

Back