• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I think my power window lock button is broken.. amp related?

qbert2500

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a used 97 XJ. I tested the windows and they work.
Now only the driver panel for the windows work. I pressed the lock button a few times before noticing the problem.

Is there a amp that controls these that might be out. I looked in the manual but nothing about amp and windows.

Is this common? What part do I need to fix? Driver side panel or just the lock button? How should I fix it and not spend to much? Used driver side panel? New button from dealer?

That write-up will fix the window lock problem, and it is also a know problem that the wires in the door jame become brittle and crack or break causing certain windows to not work. If the lock fix doesn't help, that is likely your next step. It is rarely bad switches (except the lock button).

Good to know.

It may be a odd/simple fix like mine and save others time. So I will share what worked for me..

I must have pressed the lock button at least 10 times DURING the day and the other window switches did not work.

Last night, I had the LIGHTS ON, since there are little led lights on the switches I thought I'd press it again because taking the panel off will be a little work and there is no harm in pressing the button,

What I noticed is, the led lights fluxed a bit as if there were a surge of current. Then the leds went back to normal. I tried the other window switches and they all work now.

So maybe having the headlights on gives the panel a extra jolt of electricity it need? :yelclap:

qbert, that's how mine started out =) then it turned into a full fledged wont work at all sorta deal... only one that still works for all 4 windows is the driver side, i just said eff it and been the window controller =) it kind of has its funny advantages. like if you fart everyone has to smell it cuz they cant roll down their own window... ok so i think thats about it.

so, i just did this mod exactly as it said to, and it didnt work so i reconnected it back to original looks like my electrical problem is in the controller itself... and well if thats not it looks like i'll still have an electrical problem with a new switch board

Last edited:
Thanks man. I think maxxxj jinked me because it just crapped out on me again.:D Same thing as before.. :looney:

I just fixed my sis-in-law's 2K w/ the same issue. 6 wires were broken in the door jamb accordion. I've bypassed the lock out switch before by soldering the tan and yellow wires behind the kick panel.

I just fixed my sis-in-law's 2K w/ the same issue. 6 wires were broken in the door jamb accordion. I've bypassed the lock out switch before by soldering the tan and yellow wires behind the kick panel.

one of these days i'll get around to looking for those wires =)

This seems more like a bypass not a fix. After soldering the window lock switch won't even work anymore right? It just keeps them unlocked.

Correct-that was the fix for one XJ I sold that had a bum lock out switch, not for the 2K I just fixed by resoldering the broken wires.

... here's just a friendly heads up... i tried doing this mod over the weekend right... well upon doing the mod i bent the lock arm( the metal piece that goes from the lock lever to the door lock) just enough to not allow it to lock any more. meaning, i could hit the lock button and it would " lock" all of my doors except the driver side door, well come today i went out to my jeep to get in, not thinking i didnt unlock the jeep and the driver side door was unlocked. so confused, i closed the door, hit the lock button on my keys and tried the door again with the same result, it was still unlocked.

what i had to do was bend the arm back enough to where it fixed the angle and allowed my door to lock again.

moral of THIS story is to check your work, make sure after your done doing whatever it was you were doing behind that door panel to lock it and see if everything works as it did before the mod.

Back