• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Few problems with my new 91

hupo224

NAXJA Forum User
I wanted to let my "89" thread die as it needs too....

This info should be correct:
4.0 231 aw4 d30/d35

Going to take a few photos... before I go to work and post them here.

This Jeep was a great deal and drives very very nicely. Made the 2 hour trip home last night. So here are the issues.

1. Gas gauge does not work and the fuel pump wines all the time. Previous owner said he replaced the fuel pump with an oem one recently. :shrugs:

2. Yesterday before I picked it up the Speedometer/Odometer stopped working.

3. The rear d35 on the parkway would feel like its jerking violently (forward and backwards). Mostly when hitting bumps on the road but it did happen when driving on smooth highway.

4. "Gen" light is on.

Pictures:

n4nXg.jpg
F5Btd.jpg
ENyAH.jpg
j0PPc.jpg

Thanks for looking guys. Will post an engine shot after work. See yas.

my fuel pump did that also. took a year before it finaly died. After i installed the new one it stopped making the noise.

PEOPLE, PEOPLE, PEOPLE--basics? We got the year, not much else.

That is a Chrysler 8.25 rear axle

Really? Awesome. But sucks that I get that jerking from the rear. Going to was the jeep today and shake some things down.

Looks like you have automatic undercoating feature!

Normal with early 90's?

Nice muffler
It's all shiny and stuffs

my fuel pump did that also. took a year before it finaly died. After i installed the new one it stopped making the noise.
Would this have to do with my dead fuel gauge?

PEOPLE, PEOPLE, PEOPLE--basics? We got the year, not much else.

It's a sport edition. What things would you like to know? I'll get that info when I go outside in a few..

It's a sport edition. What things would you like to know? I'll get that info when I go outside in a few..

Crap--I posted in the wrong thread!

Not to let a total screw up go to waste:

Noisy fuel pumps: if the little rubber piece at the foot of the fuel pump assembly isn't locked into its receptacle in the tank, it will make the pump noisy. If the rubber fuel line between the top of the pump and the tank flange has started leaking--cracks or loose clamps--it will make the pump noisy. If the white ceramic ballast resistor on the driver's side fenderwell has been bypassed the pump may be nosier.

As the PO has been in there recently, I would pull the pump assembly and start there. While you have it out you can test the sending unit and check the float for saturation.

Good luck.

Crap--I posted in the wrong thread!

Not to let a total screw up go to waste:

Noisy fuel pumps: if the little rubber piece at the foot of the fuel pump assembly isn't locked into its receptacle in the tank, it will make the pump noisy. If the rubber fuel line between the top of the pump and the tank flange has started leaking--cracks or loose clamps--it will make the pump noisy. If the white ceramic ballast resistor on the driver's side fenderwell has been bypassed the pump may be nosier.

As the PO has been in there recently, I would pull the pump assembly and start there. While you have it out you can test the sending unit and check the float for saturation.

Good luck.

Thank you. I got the hood open with vice grips. Trying to get the stereo to power on soon as well. (clarion head unit). I'm going to get the creeper out and see what I can find. Going to check fuses too. To rule those out for the non working stereo, gas gauge and speed/odometer. Anyone know what color my xj is?

Rust colored?

Couldn't help myself! Can't actually tell from the pictures.

The instrument gauges all run off the same fuse, so I don't think that is the fuel gauge issue.

Throw a voltmeter between the battery terminals--you should get 12.5 static; 13~14.5 with the engine running.

With a new-to-me I would fully charge the battery and then load test it. While its charging would be time to clean both ends of the main cables and renew the grounds.

The 91+ have the Nippon Denso alternators regulated by the PCM. Note that the parts stores are NOTORIOUS for testing and reporting these alternators as GOOD when they are actually BAD.

What would be the proper way to test the alternator then? I'm guessing this has to do with the gen light. I'll grab a voltmeter this weekend and test my battery as well.

Wanted to make a few notes here.

That jerking I was talking about. Well...it felt like the rear was jerking the car. This happens randomly while coasting and sometimes if I floor it. The tachometer spikes (low not high) for like a second when this "jerking" happens. After driving it a little today it more felt like the engine and not the rear... my rear drive shaft was pretty solid too..

The speedometer/odometer and the "mile counter" all don't work. How can I test for what the problem is coming from? As well as the gas gauge.

Floor pans are rotted through in some areas. Going to need to cut that out and weld in new ones. (Not a priority) Going to look up how to fix rotted rockers.

Today I broke the the hood release off. Now using vice grips to pull the cable. I grounded a wire under behind the driver kick plate and it fixed the clock. I removed that god awful door buzzer. And some how magically while driving the clarion head unit turned on blasting a country cd. I then swiftly threw the cd out my window. What's funny is I got a new xj last night and my brother got his first xj last night too. He picked up a silver 2000 limited. (I got him into Cherokees after getting him out of his crap v8 zj. Tranny went on it)

Tomorrow I'm going to take more pictures. I gave her a good bath today.

Well I just took it for a quick drive. When I floor it it seems like the engine cuts out really fast and the truck just jerks. The tachometer definetly falls fast in according to each "jerk". I'm worried about the engine now. Losing hope on it. Hopefully I can figure it out and fix it. Any input please?

My tps wouldn't cause this would it? Please can someone throw something out there..

Last edited:
Ok, I would definitely pull the sending unit and take a look--and here is why: http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1039121

Scroll down the page to the photo, but don't let any women, children, or men of faint heart be in the room when you do it.

You need to pick one single thing and work on it until it is resolved, and I would start with seeing what condition the pump/sending unit is in, and what the inside of the tank looks like too.

I noticed when I'm in park I can rev it very high and that "skip/jerk" wont happen. But yet when I'm in gear and go to floor it it does it. Then randomly when I drive. Got some work for me this weekend.

Okay. I just finally though of what I wanted to say. It "bucks". It seems to do it more in comfort mode than power mode. If I am in neutral and rev my engine it is fine. When I am in gear and go to floor it it bucks when it's just about red line. And does it when I'm on the pedal and go over bumps. (one buck though)

Picked up a charge kit for my a/c. Picked up 2 cans of seafoam for the throttle body, crank case and gas tank. Going to drop the gas tank this weekend. I put gas in it and fuel spills out whenever I come to a stop. If the gas is low enough it won't do this.

Back