• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I mixed up the push rods when removing the head

01_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Is it going to mess something up when I put them back in? I was just reading the FSM and saw that it says to keep them in order. On a related note, when taking the head in to get checked for cracks/warping, do I need to remove the bridges, pivots, and rocker arms as it says in the FSM?

It would be best.

It would be best if everything is kept in order because they develop wear patterns with each other. However, I don't think it makes that much of a difference in the case of pushrods and rockers.

It isnt a HUGE deal and most likely wont cause any problems. but like Talyn said, the engine components develop wear patterns and they wear into themselves. but i would be too concerned about pushrods being mixed up.

Might also be worth it with the head off to pull the lifters and clean them off and out, put em back in with assembly lube and for sure keep those in order.

For some components it is critical, but not push rods.

That said, however (there is always a "however"), if you are getting paid to work on things keeping the parts AS THEY WERE prevents a customer screaming bloody murder because after you worked on something it is now NOISIER. Just a good habit to get into.

For some components it is critical, but not push rods.

That said, however (there is always a "however"), if you are getting paid to work on things keeping the parts AS THEY WERE prevents a customer screaming bloody murder because after you worked on something it is now NOISIER. Just a good habit to get into.

Agreed. Good habit.

And don't forget to keep things clean!

Ha, I doubt even if I would have rubbed my greasy hands all over things it could make it much worse. I just got some help from CaliXJ getting the head/manifolds out, and the pistons were caked in carbon buildup. Between that and the fact that every outside surface on the engine has about 1/4" of oil and dirt caked everywhere, it's gonna be fun keeping things clean.

Dustin, let me know when you get that head back. I'll give you a hand so we can get you on the road again!!!

Depending on the Odometer, you may want to consider replacing the rings and conrod bearings. Just break the glaze on the cyclinder walls prior to putting the pistons in with the new rings.

I'm not going to mess with any bottom end stuff right now. I'm having a hard enough time getting this done quickly, and I really need to get back on the road.

Back