• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

14 bolt

snowboard3r411

NAXJA Forum User
im picking up a 14 bolt full flotter with 4.10 gears complete tonight for 150 bucks. its a single wheel not dully. heres my question i should have no problem finding a dana 60 or 44 front thats the same width right?? i well measure it and take pictures when i pick it up tonight in about an hour and half. also 150 bucks for a complete 14 bolt is pretty good deal right??
progress.gif

im picking up a 14 bolt full flotter with 4.10 gears complete tonight for 150 bucks. its a single wheel not dully. heres my question i should have no problem finding a dana 60 or 44 front thats the same width right?? i well measure it and take pictures when i pick it up tonight in about an hour and half. also 150 bucks for a complete 14 bolt is pretty good deal right??

progress.gif
Yup

If you are putting a D44 in the rear, the 14 bolt is way overkill. You can run 40's on the 14b, but maybe 38's on the 44. I think a 44/60 combo might have been a better idea, but I guess you got it cheap.

just remember that most factory fronts are built wider than the rear. Expect to find fronts 1-4 inches wider. Don't dismiss a potential donor because you can't find the exact width.

i just found an 2003 ford dana 60 kind hp 60 for 800 bcuks i might buy it

youll have to do something about that metric 8 lug pattern to match the rear. most any full width front will match up nicely with the 14b. a SRW 14b is about 66-67" wide, typical 3/4 & 1 ton fronts will be around 69-66" wide.

so the 8 lug patterns are different??

The newer (i.e. newer than 2000, not sure what the exact changeover year is) one tons have slightly different lug patterns. The older ones, like the HP kingpin you asked about in our chapter, are all the same.
And on that note, you should go with that other one you posted about, for a few reasons. Its cheaper too ain't it?

And don't ask questions in Mod Tech that you've already asked in the Chapter forum, or vice versa. It's just annoying.

Wow... so much misinformation and unguided help. Don't people take time to actually answer posts with correct information anymore? This seems to be more and more common in Mod Tech nowadays.
If you are putting a D44 in the rear, the 14 bolt is way overkill. You can run 40's on the 14b, but maybe 38's on the 44. I think a 44/60 combo might have been a better idea, but I guess you got it cheap.
:rolleyes: I love these posts. Suggestions on stuff people aren't running and really don't understand.

I wouldn't run 38s on a D44 without significant modifications.
I wouldn't run 38s on a normal/common (30-spline) rear D60 without significant modifications.

just remember that most factory fronts are built wider than the rear. Expect to find fronts 1-4 inches wider. Don't dismiss a potential donor because you can't find the exact width.
Good information. You'll be very hard pressed to find something that'll match that rear exactly.
pirate4x4.com
Great help. :rolleyes:

snowboard3r411, grab a cold one and try these links, this should get you up to speed quick.
The 14 Bolt Bible By BillaVista
Front Dana 60 Axle Tech By BillaVista

99+ ford went to metric 8 lug, 8 on 170mm IIRC.
You recalled correct.

Wow... so much misinformation and unguided help. Don't people take time to actually answer posts with correct information anymore? This seems to be more and more common in Mod Tech nowadays.
:rolleyes: I love these posts. Suggestions on stuff people aren't running and really don't understand.

I wouldn't run 38s on a normal/common (30-spline) rear D60 without significant modifications.

Good information. You'll be very hard pressed to find something that'll match that rear exactly.

Great help. :rolleyes:

snowboard3r411, grab a cold one and try these links, this should get you up to speed quick.

You recalled correct.

Finally, some real, helpful advice :worship:

True dat. I hardly ever visit Mod Tech just for this reason.

Hell I wouldn't go higher than 37s on a 44 unless it had alloy shafts and other mods, and with the money you'd have into it by the time you're done you may as well have just gotten a 60.
I would trust a 30spl 60 with 38s, provided it weren't locked. But IIRC Snowboard plans on gearing and locking it, in which case there's no reason not to go to 35 splines.

You'll be very hard pressed to find something that'll match that rear exactly.

This is true. Unless you shorten it, but that's more of a pain than it's worth.
Snowboard, if you're really that worried about having matching widths, just get different amounts of backspacing in your front and rear wheels to make em match. Don't put spacers on though... they're OK on smaller applications, but I wouldn't trust em with 40" meats.

Mr. Snowboard has been pointed to Pirate and both of those bibles a couple times in his thread in the CO Chapter... if he'd just trust the word of people in his state he'd be OK :rolleyes:

You recalled correct.

So in other words, Snow... pre-Super Duty axles are OK.

True dat. I hardly ever visit Mod Tech just for this reason.

:rolleyes:

Hell I wouldn't go higher than 37s on a 44 unless it had alloy shafts and other mods, and with the money you'd have into it by the time you're done you may as well have just gotten a 60.

What are "other mods"? I wouldn't trust a D44 in a front or rear application on anything more than 37s PERIOD.

I know of and have seen too much carnage on 36s/37s to trust them on anything bigger/heavier.

I would trust a 30spl 60 with 38s, provided it weren't locked. But IIRC Snowboard plans on gearing and locking it, in which case there's no reason not to go to 35 splines.

Those 30 spline shafts are no bigger than a stock 30 spline D44 shaft. I was twisting those on 35s locked. What makes you think taking a locker away and adding 38s is going to put any less stress on them?

Snowboard, if you're really that worried about having matching widths, just get different amounts of backspacing in your front and rear wheels to make em match.

Great idea. You must love carrying two different spares with you, or mounting/dismounting tires on the trail.

Don't put spacers on though... they're OK on smaller applications, but I wouldn't trust em with 40" meats.

I know someone running spacers on his rear axle with 39s. No issues to report of.

So in other words, Snow... pre-Super Duty axles are OK.

Super Duty designation for F250/F350s started in 1999.

KP HP60s ended in '91.5. Not saying you can't run a BJ HP60.

What are "other mods"? I wouldn't trust a D44 in a front or rear application on anything more than 37s PERIOD.

I know of and have seen too much carnage on 36s/37s to trust them on anything bigger/heavier.

My buddy's HP front 44 with 35 spline molly inners and molly outers, a huge truss, and reid knuckles held up to 40's for about 8 months of wheeling until he finally threw a 60 in. But like I said, by the time there's that much money into it, you may as well have just went straight to a 60.

Those 30 spline shafts are no bigger than a stock 30 spline D44 shaft. I was twisting those on 35s locked. What makes you think taking a locker away and adding 38s is going to put any less stress on them?

Locked shafts are under a lot more stress than open ones... hence, a D35 will hold up OK to 33s open but only to maybe 31s locked (yeah, it'll break anyway, I know, but you see my point).

Great idea. You must love carrying two different spares with you, or mounting/dismounting tires on the trail.

Like I said, if he's really that worried about it... it's not a huge deal to have a wider front.

I know someone running spacers on his rear axle with 39s. No issues to report of.

The buddy I mentioned earlier with the D44... broke a set of Spidertrax 1" spacers on a rear D60 and 42's.

Super Duty designation for F250/F350s started in 1999.

KP HP60s ended in '91.5. Not saying you can't run a BJ HP60.

Was talking about the bolt patterns. I've seen plenty of BJ 60s hold up just fine to abuse.

I love these arguments. They go round and round 'cause nobody admits defeat. :laugh3:
Locked shafts are under a lot more stress than open ones... hence, a D35 will hold up OK to 33s open but only to maybe 31s locked (yeah, it'll break anyway, I know, but you see my point).
I'm not commenting on anything else other than this. MoparManiac already covered my thoughts I agree with everything he wrote above.
I killed a D35 spiders open on 235s, a buddy of mine killed his open with 31s under a ZJ. I don't trust a D35 for anything.

Lets get back to the 14bolt tech, and questions the OP had/has.

Back