• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What size is this Torx bolt?

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
Does anybody off-hand know the size of this Torx bolt? It is a bolt for the factory tow hook brackets on my 97 XJ. I need to go pick up a Torx bit big enough to fit it but I dont have the cash to buy a whole set. I can tell you this it is between a T60 and a T50. I have have a small set but The T50 is too small and the T60 is too big.

IMG_0368.jpg

And if you bought it from Sears, you could trust it to stay in one piece probably... or at least get you a new one when it breaks.

Not that I can talk, my set is the $15 Husky set from Home Depot. I tend to torque off the lobes on a few of them every few months (usually only when I'm leaning on a 20" breaker bar and cursing), but Husky has an lifetime warranty, so I get new ones. I'll take Husky over Harbor Freight, they may be cheap but they're still better alloys and workmanship.

EDIT: it's *probably* a T55, pretty sure my Husky set includes that. It might be a T57 but it's unlikely, they are fairly rare.

STAY THE XXXX AWAY from cheap torx drivers, they will only strip shit out at the worst possible time... if thats what your going after, just put a flathead screwdriver in there and goto town.

im not some snap-on elitest, but harbor freight sells garbage.

HF hand tools have a lifetime warranty. Yes, a lot of stuff is garbage from them, but for the DIY mech, the hand tools are adequate for the job. I have a large assortment of Snap-On tools as well as a bunch of Craftsman, HF, Lowes, HD, AutoZone and even Big Lots tools.

The point is, if you expect to use the tool a lot (your job depends on it), buy a top quality one. If it's an occasional (maybe even 1 time) use, the cheap spread can still get the job done.

Well I needed it today so no time to wait for something to get shipped to me. T55 was the right one so I bought a single driver which turned out to be around $6 at autozone. I am all for buying a whole set just so you have all that you may ever need but I just didn't have the money nor the time to wait on a good set to get here. I am an advocater for buying the right tool once instead of cheap tools over and over again. Snap-on is every mechanic's dream but unless you are a professional then there is just no need to spend that kind of money. Craftsman is probably the best for the DIY home mechanic. Duralast from Autozone isn't too bad either.

Thanks again for the help.

HF hand tools have a lifetime warranty. Yes, a lot of stuff is garbage from them, but for the DIY mech, the hand tools are adequate for the job. I have a large assortment of Snap-On tools as well as a bunch of Craftsman, HF, Lowes, HD, AutoZone and even Big Lots tools.

The point is, if you expect to use the tool a lot (your job depends on it), buy a top quality one. If it's an occasional (maybe even 1 time) use, the cheap spread can still get the job done.
I refuse to use their wrenches, sockets, tube flaring tool, or torx bits. Basically anything that can round off or round off something I'm trying to turn with it. I bought their tube flaring tool and the part that clamps to the tube BENT, next to worthless, I threw it out rather than bringing it back for a new one because I didn't want a new worthless tool. The only part I kept was the set of double flaring buttons, which are pretty rough machining but work fine when combined with my Home Depot single flaring kit.

The last thing I want while trying to remove a door latch mechanism or a seat belt bolt is some stupid harbor fright torx bit rounding off and chewing up the bolt at the same time, making it impossible to remove easily. I'll pay the extra $5 for a set from Husky instead, I've had great luck with those except on heavily rusted fasteners or when inserting the bit at a bad angle.

I bought that torx set from H/F to adjust my rear door....

Snapped the first time I used it. The broken piece flew up and hit my cheek causing it to bleed.

What I'm saying is:

If you're gonna buy cheap tools, buy expensive safety goggles.

I bought that torx set from H/F to adjust my rear door....

Snapped the first time I used it. The broken piece flew up and hit my cheek causing it to bleed.

What I'm saying is:

If you're gonna buy cheap tools, buy expensive safety goggles.

A friend insisted I go check the place out and I was instantly not impressed but decided I could use a mini sledge. I grabbed one for like 2 bucks or something and go home and use it. The first few whacks with it the head started to separate from the wooden handle. No way I would trust swinging that thing around or trust anything else in that dump.

But then I use Fram oil filters and don't have any oil pressure issues.

There's people that juggle chainsaw and still have all their limbs, doesn't mean I want to try that either.

There are people who get run down at intersections. Are you afraid to cross the street too?

My closed cooling system runs fine. My AC works and is fully charged with R-12.
My rear shock bolts came right out. MY RMS does not leak. I get 16 mph city and around 22 mph highway. I passed CA Smog testing last month.

Guess I must be lust lucky.

There are people who get run down at intersections. Are you afraid to cross the street too?

My closed cooling system runs fine. My AC works and is fully charged with R-12.
My rear shock bolts came right out. MY RMS does not leak. I get 16 mph city and around 22 mph highway. I passed CA Smog testing last month.

Guess I must be lust lucky.

I try to minimize risks, I wouldn't walk across the street when the light is red while plenty of people do and are just fine.

hf tools are ALLWAYS shit though, you dont ALLWAYS get hit crossing the street.
we arent cowering away, afraid of snapping a tool.

we are consciously avoiding stepping in dogshit by buying cheap, bullshit tools. (or cheap, bullshit filters) to save a buck. enjoy your garbage tools, i'll take the high road, and buy tools that last longer than a single job.

and nobody asked you about your RMS, A/C, or MPG

the fact that you're here, proping up harbor freight torx sockets, is proof you dont know shit, or as you call it, 'lucky'.

Those Autozone Torx sockets are pretty good, I've used quite a few of them on everything from seatbelt bolts to the oil filter adapter and never had an issue with them.

hf tools are ALLWAYS shit though, you dont ALLWAYS get hit crossing the street.
we arent cowering away, afraid of snapping a tool.

we are consciously avoiding stepping in dogshit by buying cheap, bullshit tools. (or cheap, bullshit filters) to save a buck. enjoy your garbage tools, i'll take the high road, and buy tools that last longer than a single job.

and nobody asked you about your RMS, A/C, or MPG

the fact that you're here, proping up harbor freight torx sockets, is proof you dont know shit, or as you call it, 'lucky'.

We had a moment at the dinner table didn't we?

I need to revive this thread for a moment: trying to adjust my door hinges and the Torx tools I have are all too "tall" for the outer two Torx screws in the hinge. I wonder if anyone has a tip on where to get a short Torx bit that will work? I'm willing to take a Torx bit with a hex shaft (instead of 3/8" drive) and use a box end wrench to hold it if that's the best solution, but it seems a bit... crude.

One thing that worked for a friend's jeep here was a set of bit drivers and a low-profile bit-driving ratchet. We we were able to use the door shell to keep the driver centered over the bolt so it wouldn't strip.

Last resort for my own POS was to cut the sides off the heads and use vice grips

Back