• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best route to get to "god's counrty"

sidriptide

nobody of any consequence
i'm lookin at the good ole rand mcnally book trying to figure the best route to take.. anyone coming farther than i am will most likely be going international.. i see two basic routes to take.. RT 80/76 is the more northerly route and seems to hit less metropolitan area... and RT 70 more southerly and hits more cities.. anything between my house and the Rockies will be a blur.. any pros and cons from the old-timers who've made the trek a few times? i may do each one just to see something different each way but i'd like a lil input.....
mike

I go

from nashville up to St. Louis and take I70 all the way. Weekends are not a problem in the cities and on Friday we time it to miss rush hour in St'Louis and Kansas City. I70 is a straight shot to Utah. Beezil is correct...stay away from Chicago's traffic.

Actually, I have had much better luck on I80/76 to Denver than I70. Yeah, Chicago blows (it's the Windy City, right?), but if you can get past I57 jct before 5PM local time, it's not all that bad.

For me, I70 just has too many major metros to deal with from Ohio to Kansas, and in years past too much construction.

Of course, my favorite route is US36 from Springfield, IL to Byers, CO. Just a teensy bit slower (but shorter) than the interstates - it's pretty much wide open 2 lane blacktop past Mid-Missouri - but I admit that it's an acquired taste.

Mike in NJ :patriot:

If I were you, I would take I-80. The strech through Chicago isn't that bad if you dont hit it at 'rush hour'. there is only a small part through N.W. Indiana and N.E. Illinois that can be bad.

what is the best way coming from north of SLC?

I wish I could go but I just got my xj for free and had to do a head job on it . The people I got it from thought that It had a blowen 4.0 boy they sure were wrong I got it back to gether and it runs stronger than my old chevy with a 305.
My 89 xj has a 3 inch lift and 31x10.5

Mike in NJ -
I'm tempted to try your US36 variation. I went from Springfield, IL to Macon, MO (which sits right on US36) to buy my truck a few months back. You said it's a teensy bit slower than the interstate - can you give me a feel for how many minutes in a Teensy?
= )

Armstrong wrote:

I'm tempted to try your US36 variation

Well sir, it depends on how "lucky" you feel. To be honest, I don't think it's any slower at all - because it IS definitely shorter between Indiana and CO than I70 (southerly route) or I80/76 (northerly route). The POSTED limits are lower though (not by much).

It's not bad across the rest of MO and into KS (Pony Express Highway) and there are so many open stretches between towns (once you get past eastern KS) you can easily make up for any time lost in the couple miles of town limits you hit every 20 miles or so. Especially once you get West of Marysville, KS. I don't think it's any different than cruising the Interstate, except a few less lanes, a lot less traffic, and plenty of places to pass when you do get behind the odd Combine.

Mr. State Smokey tends to be focused on the Interstates and the touristas, not the local roads.

Yeah, KS is nothing but corn fields, and eastern CO nothing but prairie, but I find it less dull than pounding along those Interstates with the same scenery. Those little towns every so often are more of a change of pace than the same old exit ramps for 100's of miles.

Just a warning though, make sure you have a full tank as you leave St. Francis, KS - there are practically zero places to fill up in CO until you reach the junction with I70 in Byers.

One Bonus: :D If you get bored, you can swing off the road in Lebanon, KS and take a short detour to visit the "Geographical Center of the Coterminus US". Pure Americana!

Mike -
Now I'm really tempted. I must be fairly lucky - I can't seem to keep my truck at the posted limit any other time, so why should rural Missouri and Kansas be any different, right?
Thanx for the info. One more question, though. Have you happened to notice the availablity of diesel in the various small towns along the way, and especially in St. Francis, KS? I never have a problem here in IL, but haven't made any out-of-state trips since getting my new oil burner.
Thanx again.

Well, diesel isn't one thing I look for, so I can't really say . . .

BUT - 18 wheelers are not an uncommon sight on 36 and with all of that farm equipment and pickups in corn country, I'd sure bet that there's plenty of diesel available at most, if not all, stations.

Don't think it would be a worry.

Just a heads up...

I70 in the mountain passes west of Denver got a lot of snow lately, which is a bit early this time of year.

Tom

Back