• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I have searched the forums, hot key switch

gushaman

NAXJA Forum User
Searched but to no avail, cant get the right combo of words, or im the only one.
I modded the dash fan blower switch, but havent replaced the blower or cleaned it out yet, dont think this is related.
I have the steering column cover off, because i broke it taking it off the remove the dash. good thing too, the white plastic circuit thingy under the key switch is getting very hot and making a burny smell. Is it just old? noticed it looked like its riveted on. Is this something I can replace, or will the new one get hot too? I noticed once that there were sparks, and my keychain had actually welded itself to some contacts there, removed keys now it just makes wierd smell and gets really hot. anyone have any ideas or can point me towards a DIY fix?

If you don't share the basics--year/engine/etc., you won't get many replies.

wow glad i checked this post, I must be loosing it. sorry I have a 95 XJse 4 cyl 5 speed 2door. my bad, im used to the toyota van forum, everyone has almost exactly the same thing :looser:

Ok, well, if you can weld your keys to the column you have a short and I would start with the electrical ignition switch as you have already figured out. Yes, replace it before something burns up. It may not be the original problem, but it is certainly damaged goods now. With the battery disconnected wire the new switch in, then test all of the contacts with an ohm meter to see if any are shorted to ground.

Good luck.

PS--cheesy electrical circuits on our beloved XJs. BEFORE turning off the ignition, turn off all accessories--fan blower, a/c, radio, amps, CB--all of it. That way when you restart you won't be throwing a huge load on the switch--it will last longer that way.

rockauto.comhas it listed as the ignition starter switch. but the picture looks like it is a 96 and up style maybe, did this item change for longer life after 95? maybe one from the junkyard would work

Google jeep or mopar parts online, you will get plenty of hits.

Back