• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

california emissions?

xSUx SGT BAKER

NAXJA Forum User
I have a quick question. Is there any difference between a jeep from Michigan and a jeep from California. The reason I ask is because i'm going to move to California from Michigan, and want to know if ill pass emissions. thanks in advance

I seem to recall there being a different 'emissions package'... I was considering buying an out-of-state XJ but told it might be very expensive to do so in terms of making it california compliant... but that was a LONG time ago now... I can't seem to recall the specifics... it MAY have had something to do with the computer... but I could be wrong...

I have a quick question. Is there any difference between a jeep from Michigan and a jeep from California. The reason I ask is because i'm going to move to California from Michigan, and want to know if ill pass emissions. thanks in advance

There are strict laws governing out-of-state vehicles from entering California. I bought a brand new 2009 Grand Cherokee SRT in Arizona and I was required to get a certificate of inspection and smog check - this is on a new vehicle that carries a 50 state compliance label from Chrysler.

On top of that, you have less than 15 to 20 days to make it all happen or there are hefty fines.

I suggest becoming an Auto Club member and processing through them - they can guide you through this process better than the California DMV where we employee the mentally challenged.

If you do pursue this, make sure you have all your facts straight...

Here's a link that could be more helpful than our state DMV Web site...

http://www.dmv.org/

There are strict laws governing out-of-state vehicles from entering California. I bought a brand new 2009 Grand Cherokee SRT in Arizona and I was required to get a certificate of inspection and smog check - this is on a new vehicle that carries a 50 state compliance label from Chrysler.

On top of that, you have less than 15 to 20 days to make it all happen or there are hefty fines.

I suggest becoming an Auto Club member and processing through them - they can guide you through this process better than the California DMV where we employee the mentally challenged.

If you do pursue this, make sure you have all your facts straight...

Here's a link that could be more helpful than our state DMV Web site...

http://www.dmv.org/

One of the reasons you had problems was the fact you, a kalifornia resident, went to AZ to buy the car, thereby not giving kalifornia their due:nono:, LOL!
Coming in from Michigan you should have no problems as long as your vehicle has all 49 state emissions equipment installed and operational. When I moved here to CA it was easier getting my cars registered than when I moved to AZ.

One of the reasons you had problems was the fact you, a kalifornia resident, went to AZ to buy the car, thereby not giving kalifornia their due:nono:, LOL!
Coming in from Michigan you should have no problems as long as your vehicle has all 49 state emissions equipment installed and operational. When I moved here to CA it was easier getting my cars registered than when I moved to AZ.

Trust me, California got its taxes... there's an interstate tax collection process and conversion table on the California DMV Web site. This is a state emissions issue; otherwise I wouldn't have needed to get a smog cert and compliance tag inspection on a brand new vehicle that carries a 50 state emissions compliance tag.

The rules are on the DMV Web site...

As suggested to the OP .. get your facts straight. The DMV doesn't always provide the transparency needed to bring a vehicle into this state. You have 20 days... if you don't act accordingly, it will cost you. Mine was a $300 fine, until Auto Club agreed to change the date I brought the vehicle into the state - significant number that gets plugged into the DMV Web site.

You will need a Smog inspection and DMV inspection... Auto Club can do the DMV inspection.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr9.htm#feesdue

Nonresidents whose vehicles are properly registered to them in their home state or jurisdiction may operate their vehicles in California until they:
  • Accept gainful employment in California.
  • Claim a homeowner's exemption in California.
  • Rent or lease a residence in California.
  • Intend to live or be located here on a permanent basis (for example, acquire a California driver license, acquire other licenses not ordinarily extended to a nonresident, registered to vote).
  • Enroll in an institution of higher learning as a California resident or enroll their dependents in school (K-12).
So, I'm good until I get a job right? After that I have 20 days. Mean while I can prep it for the smog test, or get another car from California.

But, my main question was, is there any differences between a "49-state" Cherokee and a "California" Cherokee(for example: smog pump)? As far as I have read, there isn't, but I would like to verify

No air pump on the 4.0s.

So, I'm good until I get a job right? After that I have 20 days. Mean while I can prep it for the smog test, or get another car from California.

But, my main question was, is there any differences between a "49-state" Cherokee and a "California" Cherokee(for example: smog pump)? As far as I have read, there isn't, but I would like to verify

Whatever day you go to the DMV to register it is the day AFTER the day you arrived in town. (Nudge, nudge, wink, wink.) And suggesting doing it all at the AAA is really a waste of time. The AAA cannot issue you a California Driver's License, and you're going to need one of those two, so you might as just bite the bullet and go to the DMV.

And that's my point ... according to my 1991 FSM emissions section, Chrysler calls out for a Federal specific emissions control label or a California specific emisson control label. This is where the law gets a little fuzzy...

You need to verify...

Will the state allow you to bring a Federal only certified vehicle into California "as is" or make you bring your XJ into compliance with California requirements based on the model year.

In the case of my Jeep SRT... all the factory documentation indicates the emissions are 50 state legal. But that wasn't good enough for the DMV. They required a smog cert and visual inspection to make sure the certification label indicates compliance with California standards.

Good luck with your Jeep and dealing with our DMV ..

And that's my point ... according to my 1991 FSM emissions section, Chrysler calls out for a Federal specific emissions control label or a California specific emisson control label. This is where the law gets a little fuzzy...

You need to verify...

Will the state allow you to bring a Federal only certified vehicle into California "as is" or make you bring your XJ into compliance with California requirements based on the model year.

In the case of my Jeep SRT... all the factory documentation indicates the emissions are 50 state legal. But that wasn't good enough for the DMV. They required a smog cert and visual inspection to make sure the certification label indicates compliance with California standards.
Good luck with your Jeep and dealing with our DMV ..

That requirement is simply what I have to do every other year--and my '88 was "born and bred" in Calif. SMOG test and visual verification is standard in Calif, no matter where your car was "made".

The difference between 49-st and KA on our rigs is more one of programming than anything else - the fuel injection and ignition timing curves are different.

Some sensors may differ slightly, but that's about it.

The $300 fee mentioned is the old "Smog Impact Fee" - which, I believe, has been discontinued (unless they decided to kick it into play again, because they can't manage money.)

Be sure to point out that you have a "49-states" vehicle when you get to the Smog Check, as they should then rate you on a different scale (emissions limits slightly higher.) Also, check your VECI underhood anyhow - you may have a California-spec vehicle, as "overflow" CA vehicles were usually routed to other states for sale (recall that NY, MA, and ME have all accepted CA standards instead of 49-st, and that CA standards exceept Federal anyhow.)

According to my local Stealership, there are three PCMs available. One is the 49 state, one California and the (export) No Emmision Control version. Sensors are alleged to be thesame, just different maps.

I have a 49 state XJ, no issues with it being an out of state vehicle as far as smog goes. Now whether your rig will actually pass the test is a different story. Some will, some won't. You won't know until you try. Good luck.

I have a 49 state XJ, no issues with it being an out of state vehicle as far as smog goes. Now whether your rig will actually pass the test is a different story. Some will, some won't. You won't know until you try. Good luck.

Exactly......

You are heavily taxed if you register a newer vehicle or something like that.

E

Last edited:
That requirement is simply what I have to do every other year--and my '88 was "born and bred" in Calif. SMOG test and visual verification is standard in Calif, no matter where your car was "made".

I don't know what your point is... we're not discussing "born and bred" FOR California. This rule applies to any vehicle registered in California after six years of ownership.. or was originally configured to be sold in places other than California - exempt status excluded.

:rolleyes:

well, I think ill take the risk... I plan on buying a newer model, so if i tune it up and make sure the cats are good i think ill be fine. If I wont be able to register it in California, ill just store it in Michigan. If it comes to that, I guess my dad will have another spare Cherokee :bs:
Whatever day you go to the DMV to register it is the day AFTER the day you arrived in town
of course, I wouldn't do it any other way

Last edited:
if u can stay tagged for michagan u will thank ur self when reg time comes... trust me

plus with a military id u dont have to reg in california if ur stationed here... ur from michagan and thats all u have to say... i was in the military for 5 years and went thru all this

Trust me, California got its taxes... there's an interstate tax collection process and conversion table on the California DMV Web site. This is a state emissions issue; otherwise I wouldn't have needed to get a smog cert and compliance tag inspection on a brand new vehicle that carries a 50 state emissions compliance tag.

The rules are on the DMV Web site...

As suggested to the OP .. get your facts straight. The DMV doesn't always provide the transparency needed to bring a vehicle into this state. You have 20 days... if you don't act accordingly, it will cost you. Mine was a $300 fine, until Auto Club agreed to change the date I brought the vehicle into the state - significant number that gets plugged into the DMV Web site.

You will need a Smog inspection and DMV inspection... Auto Club can do the DMV inspection.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr9.htm#feesdue

3 Things.

1. That's BS about the smog but all CA smog laws are BS. You don't have to smog a car in CA for the first 5 years. It should be the same even if you buy form out of state.

2. I bought a XJ from Texas 2 years ago. I was being lazy and didn't register it here for 4 months. When I went to register it at the DMV the lady said I didn't have to pay taxes because the sale was over 90 days ago. If she was right or not I have no idea but I was extremely happy none-the-less.

3. Very jealous about the SRT. That is one of my dream cars. How is it?

3 Things.

1. That's BS about the smog but all CA smog laws are BS. You don't have to smog a car in CA for the first 5 years. It should be the same even if you buy form out of state.

2. I bought a XJ from Texas 2 years ago. I was being lazy and didn't register it here for 4 months. When I went to register it at the DMV the lady said I didn't have to pay taxes because the sale was over 90 days ago. If she was right or not I have no idea but I was extremely happy none-the-less.

3. Very jealous about the SRT. That is one of my dream cars. How is it?

1. At first, I thought they were going roll my new 2009 SRT into the two-year smog check rule.. after several different stories and versions from the DMV, I found out it was exempt for the first six years. I'll never buy another new vehicle from out of state.

2. wow .. lucked out or used vehicles may be different? IDK.

3. Well, I traded my 2009 SRT for a special ordered 2010 SRT... my 2009 started experiencing driveline vibes at 4000 miles (yes on a SRT!) so I decided to trade it. My new 2010 only has 1K miles on it... I can say this much, the Grand Cherokee SRT is a force to be reckoned with. Blast to drive and a lot fun knowing you can outrun just about anything from stop light to stop light that sells for under $70K.

Back