• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01 headlights, tail lights, no dash or center console...headlight switch?

xj2001jz

NAXJA Forum User
This past Saturday I started up the jeep, pulled the headlight stalk, headlights and taillights work but not the IP or center stack. Yes, I tried spinning the stalk back and forth several times. When I turn it all the way the interior dome lights come on but not the IP or center stack. I also checked the fuses.

Any ideas? My guess is headlight switch? if so, any idea which one to get?

Thanks all! :us:

I did, they are all visually ok...

NYET! Test with a 12 volt test light, a voltmeter, or pull them out of the circuit and check with an ohm meter.

Fuses are never "visually Ok".

"Fuse 6" governs all the interior lighting (switch, x-fer case, IP, etc... lights). If that fuse is good, and things like your radio and x-fer/AT lights are also out, then all signs point to the headlight switch.

mine did the same while i was doin lil work, turned out i pluged 2 wires togther that did not belong to each othe! they were located in the rear hatch!

after checking the fuses with a meter I resorted to purchasing a switch for $22 and fixed the issue. Thanks all for the advice.

Well the switch went again. Does anyone know what could be causing this and how to troubleshoot the issue? I already checked all the fuses.

Help please!

CharlesS - Thanks for the input. What do you recommend? I would really hate to bring it in to the shop for something like this.

Has the fuse been replaced with a larger rated fuse? You would expect that if the load were excessive to burn out contacts; it would blow a fuse too!what do you have connected to that circuit? Anything extra?

Are the contacts melted to the headlight switch?

Switch is good, checked with meter but the #6 fuse in the junction box keeps blowing. I looked at a wire diagram but don't know where to go from here. There is an old alarm on the car (viper) or perhaps the trailer wiring? Do you guys happen to have any idea of where to go from here? Thanks for any advice!

A few different ways to go about it.

Buy a large box of appropriate size fuses. Unplug one thing at a time from the circuit then see if the fuse blows. Replace fuse and keep removing items as many times as it takes to locate the short/excessive draw.

Buy a short circuit locator, remove one item at a time until the circuit breaker stops tripping. Short circuit locator: http://www.amazon.com/KD-Tools-2524..._1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1280433642&sr=8-1

Unhook the trailer wiring, that is a common problem area.

Remove the alarm system if you aren't using it/it doesn't function.

Some combination of all of the above.

joe_peters,

when you say unplug one thing at a time, what does that mean? unplug the fuses? or unplug something else?

Thanks a lot for writing back, this is frustrating to me who know nothing about electronics,circuits, etc.

One thing, like unplugging connectors or removing lamp bulbs--like that. You can drop in at the parts store and pick up a circuit breaker, usually hanging up in the electrical section, equivalent in rating to the fuse that keeps blowing so you don't keep frying the fuses, or get the short locator kit.

Electrical is always time consuming. There are some tools--expensive--that send out a signal through a circuit and you use a receiver to locate the problem.

Check the contacts on the headlight switch. Those contacts/connectors like to melt, as does the HVAC switch and ignition switch. Really poor engineering there.

Back