• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering wheel not centering?

outlawjoe1969

NAXJA Forum User
So I just installed the Rugged ridge HD steering conversion kit. I know I know reviews on this aren't so good, I had already ordered it. But between the shipping to return and the 20% restocking fee I figured just put it in. Anyway when I turn right the steering wheel is not centered, then if I turn left it is. Bear in mind Im new to this stuff. I have a 4.5" Rustys lift with 33's.

Any time you screw with the steering you really should get an alignment. The centering of the steering wheel is a simple adjustment to the arm from the steering box down to the tie rod. You should read up about driveway/tape measure alignments. Your toe in is most likely off as well.

I had it aligned after the lift was installed. I dont understand how its centered after a left turn but not after a right.

The rugged ridge steering design has slop in it due to the roll of the tie rod end that connects the drag link to the tie rod. What you are noticing is the slop. I bet you can also drive down a straight road and wiggle your steering wheel right and left slightly while the Jeep goes perfectly straight - that is because when you first turn your steering wheel the rod end will roll before the tie rod moves.

This is exactly what the complaints with that steering design are about.

Edit: I have the JCR under the knuckle steering and have the exact same issue you do. You get used to it. It seems the larger the lift, the worse the problem becomes.

Last edited:
Thats what I thought it might be. I have read that you can put poly bushings from JCR to solve the problem.

I have the poly bushing from JCR. It solves 10% of the problem. The other 90% of the problem cannot be fixed due to the design.

Back