• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SMOG CHECK... TEST RESULTS

bchulett

NAXJA Member #999
1991 Jeep Cherokee.. 4.0L, Mileage: 171,617 .... Motor has never been apart.

.......................%CO2....%O2.....HC (PPM).......CO (%)............NO (PPM)
Test...... RPM...MEAS...MEAS...MAX / MEAS...MAX / MEAS...MAX / MEAS
15 mph.. 1593.. 14.7 .... 0.0.........86 / 36 .......... 0.73 / 0.03......711 / 116
25 mph.. 1840.. 14.7 .... 0.0........103 / 22 ..........0.93 / 0.11.......613 / 173

PASS :D

The allowances for my 96 are quite a bit lower than yours. HC in particular, is only 56 at 15 MPH. I have always been exactly at that level every time I get smogged. Even when I first bought it with 42k. It now has 142k with the same levels.

I'm thinking he ran a hose from the Honda in the bay next to him under the Jeep and they were testing the wrong car!! I'd be happy with reading that match the MAX limits!

This reminds me of when I was 17 years old trying to smog my 77 AMC Jeep CJ-7 with a burned out 304 V8 and 3 inch side pipes(burned a quart of oil every day and a half). The dude working the chassis dyno was having SO much fun with my jeep. Even with the exhaust sniffers up both pipes it was belching smoke and screaming with glasspacks as he went through the gears. When he was done he walked over to me grinning ear to ear and said...

"WOW, they sure don't make em' like that anymore.!"

I said, "You're right, they don't.....did I pass?"

He said, "Oh hell yeah."

Two days later I got pulled over for smoke pollution....AT NIGHT. Luckily I still had my emissions receipt with the pass from two days prior. That was the angriest I've ever seen a police officer.

Last edited:
This reminds me of when I was 17 years old trying to smog my 77 AMC Jeep CJ-7 with a burned out 304 V8 and 3 inch side pipes(burned a quart of oil every day and a half). The dude working the chassis dyno was having SO much fun with my jeep. Even with the exhaust sniffers up both pipes it was belching smoke and screaming with glasspacks as he went through the gears. When he was done he walked over to me grinning ear to ear and said...

"WOW, they sure don't make em' like that anymore.!"

I said, "You're right, they don't.....did I pass?"

He said, "Oh hell yeah."

Two days later I got pulled over for smoke pollution....AT NIGHT. Luckily I still had my emissions receipt with the pass from two days prior. That was the angriest I've ever seen a police officer.

Funny, I wish smogging my 77 CJ7 had been that easy. I must have been about the same age but I had the 258. The smog guy held his shirt over his mouth and nose during the whole test like he thought my jeep was fumigating him. When I asked if i had passed he acted like it was the dumbest question he had ever heard. :roflmao:

My '91 just passed a month or so ago with really great numbers. It has probably 128k.

And Congrats!

Last edited:
I have every smog test report dating back to 1997. The state changed the thresholds and tightened up the specs.. I can't recall what year, but I thought it was a move to remove my beloved XJ from the planet.

The XJ has a high emissions profile as indicated on the California State Smog Certificate.

This test only station I've been going to for the past six years does things that he other place (test and repair) didn't do when they performed the test. The test station I went to before went out of business subsequent to California changing the laws governing test stations.

The owner at this test station uses serious Kung Fu when he performs the test and my Jeep becomes one with nature.

Back