• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is it possible 2 remove the AC compressor, Cluthch fan, & movin the Alt up higher??

Senior_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Is it possible 2 remove the AC compressor, Cluthch fan, & movin the Alt up higher??

-Is it possible 2 ditch the AC compressor, Cluthch fan, run a shorter belt, & move the Alt up higher??

-I ask cauz im ditchin the mec fan & puttin in a dual elec fan setup!! Ive seen some people re-route the belts & it helped eliminate some drag on the motor & ran a shorter belt with NO cluth fan!! I also wanna move the Alt up higher & got the Alt 2 be higher up!! I cant find the rightup tho!!

-The way im thinkin is after the clutch fan is gone & iliminates the drag on the motor, ((4.0l inline6 242cid, Auto)), how much stress elimination would accur if the AC compressor is removed as well?? Ive seen people relocate their alt but cannot find the writeups!! LOL!!

-How hard would it be 2 move the Alt higher up where its safer 4 water crossings & gets better air circulation??

Re: Is it possible 2 remove the AC compressor, Cluthch fan, & movin the Alt up higher

97+ Update RHD export model parts will make it easy.

Alternator is mounted high on U.S. passenger side .....

Re: Is it possible 2 remove the AC compressor, Cluthch fan, & movin the Alt up higher

It's been done multiple times with great success. Before you get flamed for it do a search on there for alt relocation and there will be multiple threads about it.

Assuming you have a 91+ XJ with the HO engine then the WJ and later TJ brackets should work for that. They moved the A/C compressor under the exhaust manifold and put the alternator where our compressor sits. If you are willing to do without A/C just bypass the compressor with a shorter belt. Here's a pic

154_0604_03_zjeeps_kick_ass_engine_.jpg

I don't know if anybody has done this yet so if you get the brackets from a junkyard let us know how it works out

If you have a 90 or earlier then everything is different

Last edited:

everyone is over complicating things.
ditch the a/c, move the alternator up top (i'd show pics, but you didnt post what year... tsk tsk) then simply unbolt the clutch fan, and replace the nuts on the pulley.

easy as pie. rhd parts? LOL. tj parts? LOL. he doesnt want the a/c... that makes it incredibly easy....

Assuming you have a 91+ XJ with the HO engine then the WJ and later TJ brackets should work for that. They moved the A/C compressor under the exhaust manifold and put the alternator where our compressor sits. If you are willing to do without A/C just bypass the compressor with a shorter belt. Here's a pic

154_0604_03_zjeeps_kick_ass_engine_.jpg

I don't know if anybody has done this yet so if you get the brackets from a junkyard let us know how it works out

If you have a 90 or earlier then everything is different
This picture makes me want to rob a WJ in the boneyard of every accessory it has. Any idea if the WJ A/C lines bolt up the same way on the evaporator as the 97-up XJ ones do? I know the WJ uses all bolt+flange A/C fittings on everything, including the condenser, so I may have to do other things as well...

I don't know what the A/C bolt pattern is like, but it's almost certainly different from what we have (bolts through the top into bracket below). You'd also need different hoses to interface with the rest of our system (fittings and locations are going to be different) so you'd need to have somebody make custom hoses for you. Add on the cost of evacuating and charging the system, etc., and I suspect it's at least $500 premium for the A/C.

Back