• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's wrong with FRAM

ParadiseXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've always wondered why people say that Fram filters are junk, but I never really understood why until today. I'll never use a Fram again.

On my XJ I've always run Wix(NAPA) Gold or Purolator oil filters. My MJ had a Fram on it when I got it. Today I changed the oil on both rigs (88 MJ & 90 XJ - both 4.0's). When I pulled the filter on the XJ (Gold), after the usual spillage the filter was about 1/2 full of old oil. But when I pulled the filter on the MJ (Fram) it was bone dry. Also the "filter" part of the filter was semi-collapsed in the filter housing.

So, if the filter had no oil in it, it seems to me that it would be empty everytime I started it, essentially a dry start. Does anybody know WHY a Fram would be dry as opposed to a Wix Gold which is full.

Sometime this past winter, there was a killer thread about Fram. It went on for weeks, and even had a Fram tech involved, doing his best in damage control. It went on for what seemed like weeks, full of great info, rumors, old wives tales, and general folklore. See if you can find it, it's long, but an interesting read.

Because the cheap Fram filetres have cardboard anti drainback devices that don't work for crap. The toughgard filters seem to have a silicone one.

At least that's how it was when I swore them off for the same dry start reason 10 years ago. I had a sundance, changed the oil wit ha fram filer, had horrible top end noises at startup. Changed back to a decent filer, never heard those noises again. I have used the toughgard filters and they are constructed differently. Of course, you never know what you're getting in the box, so many manufacturers just pay another manufacturer to stick their label on it.

I always open the oil filter at the store and look inside, you can generally ID who made it by how it's constructed. lately the STP filters on sale at the vatozone have been made by Champion, and they're OK. Just make sure it's got a rubber/silicone drainback device and doesn't have a cardboard tube supporting the filter media and it's probably alright.

I've used nothing but Fram on all 6 of my Jeeps for the past decade+ and never had one lick of trouble with any of them. Never had one come off the engine dry either...all of them at least half full with oil.

And, every 3000ish miles for 10 years over the course of 6 different Jeeps...that is a lot of filters...

Just checked my repair log on my 1996 ZJ (bought it in September 1999). I have done 49 oil changes on that truck alone...

I've used nothing but Fram on all 6 of my Jeeps for the past decade+ and never had one lick of trouble with any of them. Never had one come off the engine dry either...all of them at least half full with oil.

And, every 3000ish miles for 10 years over the course of 6 different Jeeps...that is a lot of filters...

Just checked my repair log on my 1996 ZJ (bought it in September 1999). I have done 49 oil changes on that truck alone...

again, I think it depends on
What kind of filter
Who made it for Fram
When it was made for Fram
What Fram product line it is.

You can't trust that what you got last time is what you're getting this time, so I always open the box and look inside to see how they're made. The cheap ones are real obvious.

The Toughguard line does seem to be better constructed. I had used Motorcraft FL1A for a number of years, mostly for the extra capacity. But, I found out on the aforementioned thread, that Fram also makes them. Now I'm into Purolator, using the better, mustard color filter. I don't know the number offhand, but I look in the book, and see what cross-references to FL1A. No more dry, rattling starts in my '92, with the upside-down filter.

again, I think it depends on
What kind of filter
Who made it for Fram
When it was made for Fram
What Fram product line it is.

You can't trust that what you got last time is what you're getting this time, so I always open the box and look inside to see how they're made. The cheap ones are real obvious.

I'll go along with that...but using the same base model FRAM filter for 10 straight years over almost 50 oil changes on the same vehicle (and at least 50 more on the other ones combined), with no issues, leads me to believe that there wasn't a lot of changes in the "who and when" regarding the manufacturing for Fram. Simply saying I have had good luck with them and will keep using them.

I'll say this about almost any product...Jeep related or not...if you have had good expereinces with it, like the product, like the price point, like the availability, and have seen no reason to "shop around," I see no reason not to keep using it.

Good thread...look around and you'll see a million of them about lift kits, shocks, winches, vendor customer service...you name it. I read one just this morning about radiators.

Last edited:

A lot of people pay bad companies for inferior products for many years and "have no problems". Doesn't mean it's a good idea.

I'll go along with that...but using the same base model FRAM filter for 10 straight years over almost 50 oil changes on the same vehicle (and at least 50 more on the other ones combined), with no issues, leads me to believe that there wasn't a lot of changes in the "who and when" regarding the manufacturing for Fram. Simply saying I have had good luck with them and will keep using them..

To these guys, you're just lucky..I mean after almost 10 years, who do you think you are fooling!!!!! LOL... :D

A lot of people pay bad companies for inferior products for many years and "have no problems". Doesn't mean it's a good idea.

I like hearing stories about people who claim to drive a car 100k miles and never once change the oil. Great it may have worked for them but I'm going to hedge my bets and do everything I can to use a quality part.

If on a forum 1 out of 10 people have a problem with product X and 0 out of 10 people have a problem with project Y, I'm going with product Y. That doesn't mean a lot of people will be just fine with product X, I would rather play the odds.

With oil filters I use napa gold, they are not expensive and are easy to get at the local napa. I would gain nothing by switching to fram.

I like hearing stories about people who claim to drive a car 100k miles and never once change the oil.
I'm 1/5 of the way through doing this.

RMS leaks out 1 quart every 150-300 miles, I add another quart, still haven't "changed" the oil though :dunno:

I'm 1/5 of the way through doing this.

RMS leaks out 1 quart every 150-300 miles, I add another quart, still haven't "changed" the oil though :dunno:
It doesn't bother you, it puking oil all over like that?
50 bucks to fix it yourself and the environment will thank you.

It doesn't bother you, it puking oil all over like that?
50 bucks to fix it yourself and the environment will thank you.
It does, but I have nowhere to fix it right now... NO VEHICLE MAINTENANCE signs in my apartment parking lot. I have all the parts to fix it myself in fact - oil pan gasket and Fel-Pro BS40612.

As for the environment, yes, it bugs me, but I will have to drive 750 million miles before my MJ leaks as much oil as BP's well did... in one day. Just to put things in perspective a little.

The cheap FRAM uses a nitrile rubber anti-drain back valve--its crap. Vertical or horizontal mounted filter vehicles are asking for trouble using them.

For those that use the cheap FRAM filters, well, I hope you are taking your minuscule savings and investing them wisely--more wisely than your filter investment.

BAck in the day FRAM was the best filter you could buy. In the last several years, I have personally seen 4 Jeep 4.0's that had major problems with FRAM filters, one of which was mine. There was a long thread by PacEd where his filter collapsed and cratered his oil pressure. He was lucky it didn't burn up the engine.

It may be that the FRAM filter for the 4.0L may have a design fault and the rest are fine, but I would never run one on my 4.0L.

I find it funny that people will say "I've always used fram my whole life and never had a problem". Once they get a bad one that ruins their engine, I'll bet they won't ever use a fram again. Not that other filters won't fail but it's just much more likely that a fram will. And that's not just hearsay!

It does, but I have nowhere to fix it right now... NO VEHICLE MAINTENANCE signs in my apartment parking lot. I have all the parts to fix it myself in fact - oil pan gasket and Fel-Pro BS40612.

As for the environment, yes, it bugs me, but I will have to drive 750 million miles before my MJ leaks as much oil as BP's well did... in one day. Just to put things in perspective a little.

Not saying this is a viable option when doing something like a RMS. However when I lived in an apartment I would pull my car to a spot on the other side of the complex and work on it at like 3am. Doing simple oil changes and stuff were easy but I sure must have looked nuts out there with jack stands and such. No one ever said anything or noticed that I was ever aware of.

I bet someone in your area would offer up a drive way space for you to change the RMS though. I would be posting in my local forum and getting that taken care of.

As for the BP comparison, you are spewing oil in your own backyard ruining your own favorite places to wheel. BP might be everyones problem but you are directly causing your own issues. :skull2:

Fram HP series filters are still top notch .... made for high oil pressure and racing applications.

The rest are NOT! ... they designed-in cost saving opportunities and outsourced manufacturing to third-world countries.

Buy: Made In USA

Purolator
Mobil 1
K&N
Mopar

I have proof FRAM filters are now inferior...

Everything you need to know about filters and who makes them: http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html

WIX or NAPA GOLD (made by Wix).

Why would a company find it necessary to manufacture FIVE different filters to fit my 1990 4.0????? Extended Guard, Tough Guard, High Mileage, Double Guard, Extra Guard?????

I don't think so. Some one in the Marketing Department is having wet dreams.

Back