• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Peugeot questions

To get the slave out, you need to pull the tranny. I suggest you do some soul searching before you decide whether or not you actually put the peugeot back into your jeep.
To get the shifter out, you need to pull the exterior shift boot, then the interior shift boot, then there are 3 bolts (IIRC) that secure a retainer ring at the top of the shift tower. Remove those bolts, then the shift lever should pull right out

that information is correct, internal slave, it's in the bellhousing. Trans must be pulled to service the slave.

trans is sitting in back of jeep. shifter looks like halfway up it can be removed from the shifter on the transmission is there a way to remove it?

Should be able to slip a couple small (tiny) flat head screwdriver blades up there--or a couple pieces of hack saw blade and release the clips then bang on it upward.

And anybody know where I can cut the trans tunnel to get to the topp E12 bolts? I wanna make a over so it will be easy to swap it out later.

Why don't you just lower the crossmember/rear of the transmission? That should give you plenty of room to get the two top bolts. And you should replace them with hex head bolts.

No, but I wish you good luck on your project.

I'm disappointed. I thought Joe was the "sheet metal surgeon". Joe, how come you keep coming up with practical solutions backed by years of experience and refuse to commit to irresponsible hacking of Jeeps in pursuit of half a$$ed repairs?

I'm disappointed. I thought Joe was the "sheet metal surgeon". Joe, how come you keep coming up with practical solutions backed by years of experience and refuse to commit to irresponsible hacking of Jeeps in pursuit of half a$$ed repairs?

That's just the side of me that is a real Pr*ck. Besides, I think he has to cut through the air box, but I don't want to spoil the surprise.

Well I got the new trans in. Turns out somebody already replaced the E12 bolts. New trans runs better than the old one? WTF. I accelerated in 3rd gear going down a dirt road and my tires spun. I was in 3rd gear going around 20mph. Is that normal?

Just a matter of left foot/skinny pedal, available HP, gearing, and tire condition. In other words, lots of variables but certainly nothing to worry about.

Glad you got it done.

Good luck.

Its wierd the trans I put in has XJ stamped on the trans itself and the 4x4 tailhousing the trans I took out just had it on the tailhousing. And I wasnt worried about it Im just thinking that the old trans was so worn out it was a POS and didnt run right.

With a manual if you can get it in gear it will work, unlike an auto.

I know about having a good shifting transmission after wrangling a worn out box, done that a few times myself.

EDIT: Getting old--I don't know if there was such a thing, but maybe you got a new box with slightly different gearing in it, that would make it perform differently.

With a manual if you can get it in gear it will work, unlike an auto.

I know about having a good shifting transmission after wrangling a worn out box, done that a few times myself.

EDIT: Getting old--I don't know if there was such a thing, but maybe you got a new box with slightly different gearing in it, that would make it perform differently.

Thats what I was thinking that maybe it had different gearing.

Back