• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing carpet matting - quick question

Emerscape

NAXJA Forum User
Long story short I pulled the carpet and removed the moldy padding/matting on my 2000 xj a year or so back. After driving it around for a while I've come to the conclusion that it's too loud and hot to be driving around this way and want to replace the matting.

So my question is... I've got a roll of fiber matting from an automotive store, I'm planning on covering the entire floor under the carpet. Are there any places that I should not cover with the matting?

Is there any chance at all of getting to a JY and pulling what you need? I've attempted numerous times to do what you're doing, and have come to the conclusion that there's a reason the the car builders use vacuum or heat molded floor coverings. There are certain contours that simply defy your best efforts. If you'd like to use the fiber you've bought, try to find a good carpet, and use spray adhesive to stick it to the molded carpet. I found a beautiful '98 interior, including carpet for my '96. I removed the original carpet, carefully peeled off the padding, laid the padding back in, and installed the '98 carpet with its own padding over the old. Wow- quiet! Cushy! Homes should have floor coverings like this. Another approach: my son completely Dynamatted the entire interior of his '95. Including inside the doors. Reminds one of a bank vault. Not cheap, but real nice.
Bottom line is that you'll need to start with a good factory carpet, if only because of its pre-formed shape. Possibly a good interior shop or carpet layer could do a nice job, but you'll pay dearly for their skills.

thanks for the response. I already have the molded carpet (old) so I should be good to go. You think I need to use spray adhesive vs. just laying the padding down in the car and putting the carpet over it?

I don't know if you had noticed, depending on what shape your original padding was in, bot the padding was stuck to the carpet, to aid in installation (installed in one piece on the assembly line), ans to keep it from sliding around and bunching up. If you're careful, you can get away without sticking it to the carpet, and have a nice, flat carpet.

Find many holes in the floorpan? I notice you're up there in Kennedyland. Good for making your car corrode into red dust!

haha thanks. knock on wood no I haven't found any holes. I'm pretty religous about cleaning it. I wash it every two weeks during the winter and during the summer I detail it every two weeks and use a detailing spray to maintain it each week in between. I generally clay bar it and 3 step wax every spring and fall

I've got 142k miles on it but just noticed a tiny bit of rust on the rockers and paint peeling on the hood.

I'm afraid the rust on the rockers is bad. They seem to rust from the inside out. By the time you see it, the damage has been done. My '92 and my son's '95 already have new rockers, and if I'm still pushing my '96 around next year, it's getting taken apart next summer for the rockers. I put the new interior in it last summer, and I patched the floor then, and that's when I noticed how bad the rockers are. It went from solid to Swiss cheese in the three winters I've been driving it, thanks to the pre-snow magnesium chloride they spray on the roads, to make plowing easier. Anymore, Naval Jelly and Liquid Nails have become my best friend!

Back